7 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2013 8:27 AM by AppGuy

Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection

AppGuy

Title

Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection

I did not see any information about this so thought I would put a post here..

I am looking to detect (Get) the network connection info before syncing.  Is there a way in FM go to do this?

For istance before I sync I would like to run a script to detect if the user is using 3G, 4G/LTE, or WIFI... Based on this info I would allow them to sync or not.

Thanks,

JP

• 1. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
          TSGal

Jason Larson:

Thank you for your post.

First, FileMaker Go does not sync.  FileMaker Go will use whatever network is available to connect to host servers.  This is not controlled by FileMaker Go.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
            AppGuy

TSGal-

I already have scripts that sync my data from go to my server.. Not an issue and working fine... My question is not releated to syncing.. Sorry if that was confusing..

So my question still remains...  Does FM Go have any way to get the connection status?  IE... 3G, 4G/LTE, or WIFI?  I am aware if opens the connection, but can it get the type/status?  anything?

JP

• 3. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
              TSGal

Jason Larson:

No.  FileMaker Pro/Go does not have the ability to determine what type of connection.  The function Get (ConnectionState) only returns if the file is accessed via a non-secured or secured connection.

I recommend entering this suggestion into the Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is hosted by Development and Product Management.  The entries are then discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
                DavidJondreau

How about just doing a speed test? The actual connection type isn't as important as the up/down speed right? You don't want to sync over a crappy wifi connection.

I'm guessing there are web services out there that will run speed test and return a result to a browser. Use a web viewer to do that. You may have to parse a bunch of HTML or XML to get the actual speed. Theoretically, it should work.

• 5. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
                  AppGuy

Yes, you could do a speed test but with 4G now we are seing speeds of 28mb/down and 13mb/up... pretty cool but hard to tell what type this might be.. :)

We would like the ability to detect the connection type and based on that allow the user to sync the data or not.  For instance.. we don't want to allow the user to sync if they only have a 3G connection.  Takes too long..

I have put the feature request in to FM.

JP

• 6. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
                    DavidJondreau

I think you missed my point. It seems your issue is not connection type but connection speed. If 4G connection is 28Megs up  and 13 Megs down, that's faster than my wifi! Why not sync? 

If there's an issue of data transfer limits over cell, that's another issue. 

• 7. Re: Detect 4G/LTE or WiFI conntection
                      AppGuy

David-

We do sync over 4G...  We just don't want to allow 3G syncing.

3G syncing works too, just extremely slow..

JP