3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2012 10:07 AM by TSGal

Determine page count in iOS, for "Page X of Y"

jwsmall

Title

Determine page count in iOS, for "Page X of Y"

I'm designing a database meant to be used exclusively by employees in the field, on their iPads.  They'll fill out forms, get customer signatures, print the forms, and email the pdfs back to our document control.  There's a form which, by virtue of the data entered on it, can be multiple pages long (I've formatted it so the text fields slide up and resize the enclosing part).  All the completed forms we generate have to have "Page X of Y" in the footer.

I can't figure out how to get the total page count in FileMaker Go, since "Enter Preview Mode" as suggested here isn't a valid script step for iOS.

I'd really appreciate any guidance you can give me.

•      

•      
      •           MultiQuote
      •      
      •           Edit           

•      
      •            

• 1. Re: Determine page count in iOS, for "Page X of Y"
          TSGal

James Small:

Thank you for your post.

I'm assuming the number of pages is variable per PDF file.  Is there any way to determine what pages will print, or what forms are needed to be printed?  That way, you could calculate the number of pages to print before printing, and then use the variable (or global field) to print the total pages.

Any other information you can provide about what information has the ability to appear in each PDF file could be helpful.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Determine page count in iOS, for "Page X of Y"
            jwsmall

The simplest form I'm using corresponds to 1 record.  It has fields for "Service Description," "Explanation of change," and "Comments," which are the 3 fields I have set up to resize and slide up.  There are also fields for things like service engineer, customer ID, and confirmation signatures, but they don't need a variable amount of space so I don't have them set up to resize.

When the form is filled out, it usually only takes 1 page for the entire thing.  However, there are times when the comments, or something else, need to be quite extensive, and the form can, in that instance, be 2 pages long.  I know because this is based off a Word form we've been using for months.  FileMaker Go's ability to sign on the screen is what drew us to try to implement a FileMaker Go solution, in fact, but this simple page count issue is making it much more complicated than I hoped.

• 3. Re: Determine page count in iOS, for "Page X of Y"
              TSGal

James Small:

Unfortunately, with sliding fields up, you really don't know how many pages a printout can be.  The Length() function will return the number of characters in the field, and although some letters take up less room than others (for example "i" and "m"), you can get an approximation that may help determine if a second page is likely to occur when the three variable length fields exceed a certain value.

I recommend that you enter a suggestion for a Get (TotalPages) function into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are populated into a database file that is hosted by Development and Product Management where the entries are discussed and considered for future releases.  I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.