1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2011 10:28 AM by swisskent

Dial Phone script step on FMGo

StenKaspersen

Title

Dial Phone script step on FMGo

When executing the dial phone script step on FMGo nothing happens. You would asume that the iPhone would dial the selected number. Is this a non background job issue, or am I missing something?

• 1. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
          TSGal

Sten Kaspersen:

Thank you for your post.

After working with this, the Dial Phone script step will work properly when referencing a field.  However, if I type in a number directly, it will dial a random number.

Another option would be to use the "Open URL" script step using the "tel:" option..  For example, "tel:5551212" or "tel:" & Fieldname

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
            AliDiba

Dial Phone script does not work on my iPhone. If I select the dialog option then it shows the number but does not dial. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?

thanks,

-ali

• 3. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
              TSGal

Ali Diba:

Thank you for your post.

Are you referencing a field or a string?  Does the script continue after the Dial Phone script step?  If you post your script, it may be easier to understand what is occurring.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                AliDiba

I am referencing a field. I was able to solve the problem using the URL suggestion. Dial Phone script did not dial the phone on my iPhone. Thanks for your help.

-ali

• 5. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                  ChristinaLabuzetta

Hi

We want to try out the script to use in filemaker go.

Is there anyway that you can post step by step instructions in how to do it?

We have the phone field as a text field and we have 15K records.

Thanks a lot!!!

• 6. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                    TSGal

Christina Labuzetta:

Thank you for your post.

In FileMaker Pro, create a script "Dial" with the script step:

Dial Phone [ No dialog ; <Phone field> ]

On your layout, create a rectangle, select the rectangle, pull down the Format menu and select "Button Setup..."

On the left side, select "Perform Script", click "Specify..." on the right side, select the "Dial" script and click OK.

If you plan to use the FileMaker file only on your iPhone, then close the file in FileMaker Pro, connect your iPhone to your Mac, launch iTunes, and move over the database file.  If you are accessing the file via network connection, then access the file as a guest.  Once the file is open on the iPhone, tap the rectangle to execute the script "Dial" and it will dial the number in the <Phone field>.

For some reason, forum user "Ali Diba" was unable to make this work with the "Dial Phone" script step.  If this is also your case, then change the Dial Phone script step to:

Open URL [ No dialog ; "tel:" & <Phone field> ]

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                      ChristinaLabuzetta

wow thanks a lot for the fast reply!

I'll give it a try right now!!

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

• 8. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                        ChristinaLabuzetta

works out great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't thank you enough!

• 9. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                          ChristinaLabuzetta

Quick question:

I have a field that contains some notes and phone numbers along with those notes. Is there any way for filemaker go to recognize the phone number along those notes?

Thanks again in advance!

• 10. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                            TSGal

Christina Labuzetta:

If the phone number is contained in a Notes field, it may be possible to extract the phone number and dial it.  One option is to create a Calculation field, PhoneCalc, that filters only numbers.  That formula would be:

Filter ( <Note field> ; "0123456789" )

This extracts all numbers from the field.  The caveat is if you have other numbers in the field separate from the phone number.

If the telephone number is always in a specific format, like (xxx) xxx-xxxx, then you can search for the first "(" and extract 14 characters.  For example, that formula would be:

If ( PatternCount ( <Note field> ; "(" ) > 0 ; Middle ( <Note field> ; Position ( <Note field> ; "(" ; 1 ; 1 ) ; 14 ) ;  ""  )

See if one of these options work for you.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                              ChristinaLabuzetta

Yes, in that field most of the times are either other phones or other numbers like for example addresses. Maybe it will be hard to do, this is an example of a record on that specific field:

"next door neighbor: Sharon H: 305-667-3536  Now has pool and cabana.   master Bedroom newly painted same neutral family. in the next two weeks.  11/12/07, address 9857 Sw 123 ct. Friend's number 305-985-9874 "

• 12. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                                TSGal

Christina Labuzetta:

Did you want to extract the first telephone number in the field?  The last number?  Both numbers?

If you just want the first number, I would try the following:

If ( PatternCount ( <Note field> ; "-" ) > 0 ; Middle ( <Note field> ; Position ( <Note field> ; "(" ; 1 ; 1 ) - 3 ; 12 ) ;  ""  )

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                                  ChristinaLabuzetta

HI, Thanks for being so helpful.

I would like to be able to dial any phone number on that field that has the format xxx-xxx-xxxx. Also, when you say "extract" do you mean put it in another field first before dialing? do I have to create fields for those phone numbers?

Thanks a lot!!!

• 14. Re: Dial Phone script step on FMGo
                                    philmodjunk

If I remember correctly, the phone number fed to Dial Phone must have all characters except the numeric digits stripped. Thus the failures reported here might be due to typical phone number formatting characters such as () and - being present. A Filter function can be used strip out all non-numeric characters.

1 2 Previous Next