1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2015 9:23 AM by tonymoller

Display issues in list view with large record count

tonymoller

Title

Display issues in list view with large record count

I'm working on an iPad solution (FM Go 13 and FMPA 13), and when I switch from the 'home' layout to a list view layout, I get an odd display issue on the iPad. The script that takes you to the index takes you to the last record in an unsorted list of records. On the iPad, the user is not taken to the last record, nor is the whole list displayed. For instance, I have 200,056 records, and the last visible record in the list is 199,864. I can't even scroll down the list to the bottom. However, if I use the record number slider in the bottom tool pane to go to some other record, and then slide back to the last one, then the last record displays. This does not happen with smaller record counts (though I don't know what that number is exactly) and it does not happen on Mac or Win. 

Thanks for any insight!

Tony

• 1. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
          TSGal

Tony Moller:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are already aware of this issue.  List View may not allow you to scroll through all records.  The record slider is the only way to see all records.

You may also notice that once you get to the last record, you may not be able to scroll back to the top.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
            tonymoller

TSGal,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea where the record count is for this to start happening? 

Further info just FYI, if there is a 'go to details' button on the list view layout, when you return to the list view you may not be taken to the active record, even if you first scroll the list to get to the last record. 

Thanks

Tony

• 3. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
              TSGal

Tony Moller:

The record count appears to be based on several factors.  For example, I've seen this occur with a list layout with 200 records.

Besides the manifestation you mentioned of not seeing the last active record when returning to list view, if you switch to another layout and back again, scrolling down may stop you at a different last record.  That is, instead of 199,864 records, it may a smaller or larger record number.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                tonymoller

Thats exactly the behavior I've seen. Thanks for the clarification. Now, we just need it fixed :)

Thanks!

Tony

• 5. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                  tonymoller

I just installed the 13.0.5 version of Filemaker Go (build date 9/11/14) and this problem has not been resolved. Any idea when this will be fixed? Its critical to the solution I'm building. 

Thanks

Tony

• 6. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                    TSGal

Tony Moller:

I can confirm this issue was not changed in FileMaker Go 13.0v5.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                      philmodjunk

Its critical to the solution I'm building.

Have you tried working up a temporary fix that allows you to move forward?

Here's what I'm brainstorming while typing this up:

Set up two layouts and use either two windows or two different table occurrences as the basis for each layout. Use the hidden layout or "window in back" to keep track of your full found set, but use nav buttons and scripts that select a sub set of these records to display on the currently visible layout and/or window that keeps the total count down to avoid encountering this bug. Scripts on the Nav buttons can switch windows or layouts to pull up the full found set and then select the next or previous set of N records to display on your visible layout/window.

Admittedly, this is not nearly as nice as being able to just "flick" the screen to scroll thorugh the records, but might just be a way to move forward while waiting for that bug fix...

• 8. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                        tonymoller

Just tested this on the latest 13.0.6 release (Nov 21, 2014) and the bug is STILL there. Its been FIVE months and TWO updates. How hard could it be to fix this? Why is this NOT a priority bug in Filemaker Go? 

Tony

• 9. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                          GH_1

I have the same issue. However, it is not tied to "large record numbers". I have, say 9 or 10 records (image attachments to an address book), and it will display only 8 records out of 10. Or 10 records out of 12. Oddly, it does this only about 25% of the time with one record, and almost 100% of the time with another record (parent record). And there's more. I have now encountered something even odder. Something I have never seen before in the 10 years I have been using Filemaker. In List View, when I scroll down the image attachments, and reach the "bottom", it scrolls PAST this, and shows a neutral background. This is positively bizarre. It does it only on the couple images compilations with 8 records or more. And NO, the "body" is set to end just after the container field, so it is not scrolling "off the record" for any reason than it being a bug. That is to say, it is not a Layout problem. Otherwise it would do it with every Found Set list view.... So, are you guys gonna fix this problem?  This has me very vexed. It is the first genuine bug I have ever run into that was not fixed in the near term. What's up? This is a major error, not some rinky-dink thing we are talking about here.

• 10. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                            tonymoller

Just tested this with the just released 13.0.8 version of Go. List view bug still there. I reported on this back in June, and even then FMI said they were aware of it. Its December now (6 months!). You can't tell me that this is some major bug or problem with Go that its taking longer than 6 months to fix... I know I'm not a big customer, but I've been a steady, volume licensing customer for years. Surely my ~$2K per year should count for something? In all my years of working with Filemaker (since v2) I have never seen a reported bug take this long to resolve. 

Its Friday, after a long week. Sorry for the vent. But please get this fixed. display issues in List View can't be considered a minor issue. 

-Tony

• 11. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                              TSGal

GH:

Thank you for your post.

Is this occurring on an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch?  What model?

I would like to see your database file so I can see the issue with the list extending beyond the Body.  Is there a Footer?  Any other layout parts?  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                                TSGal

Tony Moller:

I can confirm that the List view issue was not addressed in FileMaker Go 13.0v8.

Your frustration is noted.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                                  rgordon

TSGal,  can you confirm what bugs were addressed with the update? Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

• 14. Re: Display issues in list view with large record count
                                    TSGal

rgordon:

There is little information available.  English language users of FileMaker Go will not see any difference between 13.0v7 and 13.0v8.  The issue revolves around the barcode Codabar that was added to the script step "Insert from Device [Barcode]".  In essence, the "Codabar" string was updated in localized versions (other than English) for FileMaker Pro, but not for FileMaker Go.  This created an indexing issue for non-English FileMaker Go users resulting in several instances of functionality and incorrect messaging.  This is the reason for the quick release of FileMaker Go 13.0v8.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next