AnsweredAssumed Answered

Downloading file with external storage

Question asked by RyanBuckley on Nov 24, 2013
Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 by RyanBuckley

Title

Downloading file with external storage

Hello (again),

Still struggling with some of the concepts in Filemaker Go. This is my first mobile-focused solution, so bear with me. I will be very appreciative to anyone who can help.

Let me begin by explaining the specifics of the solution I'm developing. There is an art collector who wants only to access his images/data via his iphone. There will be one cataloguer working at his storage facility that will enter this data for him. Along with me there will only be three people accessing this file, sometimes simultaneously, mostly not. I'd prefer not to have to opt for Filemaker Server as i think it would be overkill, and also the computer being used for cataloguing will only be able to host when the cataloguer is using that computer.  However, there needs to be a way for the client to access his database on his phone 24/7.

I really want to use Remote Containers, because there are going to be a lot of large images, and I would prefer the database to be lean. The client is very particular about speed and response-time.

So dropbox is out of the question, as is a self-contained copy. I had what I thought was a great idea to upload the file and image folder to a server, create a shortcut to the link for the client's homescreen, and then change the Remote Container path to be the folder online...but then the cataloguer will not be able to view images without going through a grueling FTP process.

He has his own server space, and does not want to pay any additional monthly fees for specific FileMaker hosting services. 

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

--Ryan

Outcomes