5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2013 9:36 AM by RyanBuckley

Downloading file with external storage

RyanBuckley

Title

Downloading file with external storage

Hello (again),

Still struggling with some of the concepts in Filemaker Go. This is my first mobile-focused solution, so bear with me. I will be very appreciative to anyone who can help.

Let me begin by explaining the specifics of the solution I'm developing. There is an art collector who wants only to access his images/data via his iphone. There will be one cataloguer working at his storage facility that will enter this data for him. Along with me there will only be three people accessing this file, sometimes simultaneously, mostly not. I'd prefer not to have to opt for Filemaker Server as i think it would be overkill, and also the computer being used for cataloguing will only be able to host when the cataloguer is using that computer.  However, there needs to be a way for the client to access his database on his phone 24/7.

I really want to use Remote Containers, because there are going to be a lot of large images, and I would prefer the database to be lean. The client is very particular about speed and response-time.

So dropbox is out of the question, as is a self-contained copy. I had what I thought was a great idea to upload the file and image folder to a server, create a shortcut to the link for the client's homescreen, and then change the Remote Container path to be the folder online...but then the cataloguer will not be able to view images without going through a grueling FTP process.

He has his own server space, and does not want to pay any additional monthly fees for specific FileMaker hosting services. 

Any ideas?

Thanks so much

--Ryan

• 1. Re: Downloading file with external storage
          schamblee

Filemaker server is not required.  Filemaker can host the database, but the database must be open on the host computer or the database will not be available to the remote client.  You can put the database on the iphone but your data would be limited to the space on the device and you would have to design your own sync system or purchase a sync system, which can be expensive. 

http://www.filemaker.com/solutions/ios/docs/fmi_guide_sync_en.pdf

www.360works.com or www.seedcode.com offer sync solutions.

360 works also has the super container which may work.

The only thing you can do with dropbox is transfer your database to dropbox then to your devices, so this wouldn't be option.

He can host is own database but the speed will most likely slower than using a hosting service.  Your monthly fee covers the cost of filemaker server, high speed line, server hardware, and most companies backup their servers.  That being said the speed will be limited by the hosting computer (ram,HD speed,cpu) , internet connection on both ends and you would have to implement your own backup system. 

• 2. Re: Downloading file with external storage
            RyanBuckley

Filemaker can host the database, but the database must be open on the host computer or the database will not be available to the remote client.

I've determined so far that this will likely be an issue, as there would be no computer that could serve as a constant host without interruption.

You can put the database on the iphone but your data would be limited to the space on the device and you would have to design your own sync system or purchase a sync system, which can be expensive. 

I should have mentioned that the client will have read-only access, so would syncing need to factor in at all?

I'll look more into SuperContainer. Still not sure if it would facilitate a server-address to the image file AND provide an in-database view of the graphic itself. (For both the cataloguer and the mobile client use.)

• 3. Re: Downloading file with external storage
              TSGal

Ryan Buckley:

Thank you for your posts.

Another option is to put your images on a web server, and use a Web Viewer to access the files on the server.  That is, if you have a static IP Address for the server, and you know where the file is located, you can put the location in a text field, and then use a Web Viewer to access the image.  Or, if you don't want the image to immediately show, then replace the Web Viewer with an Open URL command to access the image.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Downloading file with external storage
                AppGuy

Ryan-

We have over 200 iPads with the Gozync solution and it works great..  We have very spotty cell coverage at times so need to have the databases offline.  I created a different security set for the local users when they are entering data then switch users when syncing with scripts and no issues.. works like a champ.

JP

• 5. Re: Downloading file with external storage
                  RyanBuckley

I thought of something last last night.

What if the database retained internal containers, but lo-res files...only large enough to fill an ipad screen at 72dpi, and from these I would also use the GetThumbnail function. This way the size of the database could be minimized while still allowing for offline access. If the user wants hi-res versions, clicking on the fullsized image could then load a supercontainer with a link to a full-version file stored on a web server.

Has anyone tried something similar and could share their experience? Would a thousand full-screen 72dpi images still bog-down the functionality of the database?

I'm mostly concerned with speed, load times, and simplicity.

Thank you all for contributing ideas. There is a lot to look into.