8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2014 12:04 PM by SimonSherwood_1

Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8

SimonSherwood_1

Title

Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8

Hi all

Ive got both iPhone 5 and 5s and a drop down list is no longer working once we updated to ios8.  It's supposed to be a fast multiple choice field entry for entering data on the fly but no longer works.  Any ideas?  It has basically rendered our database useless as I don't want to manually enter information that could allow for user error and also take longer.

Simon.

• 1. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
          SimonSherwood_1

I think I've just worked it out, you need to go into settings and turn of keyboard prediction.  However I do think that this is still an issue as the drop down lists should work regardless of the iPhone keyboard settings.

Simon.

• 2. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
            AppGuy

Did you update to 13.0.5?

• 3. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
              SimonSherwood_1

Yes it's the latest version.  Just to be more specific on the problem, the field with the drop down list is in a portal row.

Simon.

• 4. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
                TSGal

Simon Sherwood:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. In FileMaker Pro 13.0v3, I created two tables, linked together by a Number field named "ID", and allowing records to be added to the second table.

2. In the second table, I created a Text field "Name".

3. I entered ten records with the Name values: Ann, Betty, Cathy, Diane, Emily, Felicity, Gina, Hannah, Isabel and Jane.

4. In the first table, I created a portal into the second table, showing the Name field.

5. I formatted the Name field in the portal to be a drop-down list to include all values from the related second table.

6. I set the file for Network Sharing.

7. I launched FileMaker Go 13.0v5 on my iPad running iOS 8, and opened the hosted file.

8. I am able to enter a record into the portal, and the drop-down list works fine.

9. On my iPad, I have Predictive keyboard turned On, as well as Auto-Capitalization, Auto-Correction, Check Spelling, Enable Caps Lock, and Shortcut.  (Only Split Keyboard is turned off).

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
                  SimonSherwood_1

Thanks TSGal for trying to replicate the problem.  The only thing that I think is different is that the drop down list was from a set value list.  It was a list of payment options cheque cash bank transfer ect.  The field was also set to conditional format based upon the contents of another field in the same record.

The weird thing is when I read your post I decided to try it on my iPad 2 with the original file and found that I couldn't replicate the problem, so I then decided to try it on my iPhone 5s where I had seen the problem and the problem doesn't exist anymore with predictive keyboard switched on.  I've also tried it on my wife's iPhone 5 which presented the problem originally and that is now working fine.  I've not changed the database at all or updated the iOS or filemaker so I am a bit bemused. The only thing I can think of is that switching the keyboard prediction off cleared the problem.  

Simon Sherwood

• 6. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
                    SimonSherwood_1

Just to add as well, the file was deployed on the device.  It was deployed onto the device before the update to iOS 8. It wasn't shared over a network.

Simon.

• 7. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
                      TSGal

Simon Sherwood:

Thank you for the additional information.

It is possible that switching the keyboard Predictive setting may have changed the environment.  On the other hand, there have been a few strange behaviors that occur when FileMaker Go has been running for a long time (although nothing involving value lists).  Closing and relaunching FileMaker Go tends to fix that issue.  With that said, have you relaunched FileMaker Go since you first reported the issue?

If you should run across this issue again, please let me know.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Drop down list doesn't work in iOS8
                        SimonSherwood_1

Closing and relaunching was the first thing I did, which didn't work.