9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2013 9:26 AM by TSGal

Drop down list issue

TimothyNees

Title

Drop down list issue

On Iphone 5 the drop down lists in my database work perfectly, I am able to scroll and select with ease, and can still read the corresponding question while scrolling the value list.  On Ipad the drop down lists don't work at all.  A list seems to appear but it is so small you cannot access it.  Is there something I can do or is this an issue with FMGo 12 on Ipad.

Pop up menus work but when they pop up on Ipad they cover the text the user would need to see as they select there answer.  On Ipone the menus appear below the text which is much better for my purpose.

I have tried using buttons that take you to a layout specifically designed for each question but it is still impossible to use pop up menu or drop down list on the Ipad.

Im trying to force strict data entry but this seems impossible on the Ipad.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Drop down list issue
          TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Thank you for your post.

The pop-up or drop down list should appear similarly on an iPad with a scroll wheel to select the value.  In a drop down list, you have the ability to enter data via the keyboard.  Also, where do the fields appear on the Layout?  If at the bottom of the layout, the screen may have to scroll upwards so the keyboard can display.  However, the value list should still appear to the right of the field.

If a value in a value list contains multiple words, then the font may be reduced so it can fit as many characters as possible.  What is the longest value in your value list?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Drop down list issue
            TimothyNees

The value lists are short sentences which appear porperly on the Ipone, but not at all on the Ipad.  I tried posting last night but don't think it went through, so hopefully this image uploads properly if my last post didn't work.

• 3. Re: Drop down list issue
              TimothyNees

If you notice in the screen shot I posted the Ipad scroll wheel is tiny sitting right next to the record indicator.  Not sure if this is because I optimized the layouts for Iphone, I would think with more realestate on the Ipad it should have no problem placing the scroll wheel where the field is.  the active field is located at the bottom of the layout and the position lock is left, right, down.  The position lock for the text above is right, left.  The position lock for the buttons on the layout is left,up and right, up respectively for what you see on the Iphone 5 screen shot.  The Ipad I didn't bother to scroll the screen to show the buttons but they are on the layout.

• 4. Re: Drop down list issue
                TSGal

Timothy Nees:

I'm unable to replicate the issue.  With my field at the bottom of the layout, and position is locked for left, right and bottom, I am able to double-tap the field and the scroll wheel will appear above the keyboard.  It might be easier if you send in a clone of your database file so I can try it here on my iPad.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send your database file.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Drop down list issue
                  TimothyNees

The Issue may be related to what ever differences there are between Ipad and Iphone versions of FMGo12 and the way databases are converted from FMpro advanced 11 to 12.  This database has been in use for 2 years now without issue other than the normal debugging after making scripting changes, and it has worked on both Iphone and Ipad in it's FMpro11 version.  I tried a database created on FMpro12 on my Ipad and the drop down lists functioned properly just as you said.  The database in question takes up 150Mb and is a specialized system for trained individuals to use, if I did send it to you, you would need to be trained just to get to the point where the lists appear.  That being said if you have a database written using version 11 and can convert it to version 12 using a PC running win7 and create the layout type I described after the conversion maybe you will be able to replicate the problem.  It just doesn't make sense to me that it works perfectly on the Iphone unless the processor in the 2nd gen ipad just can't handle the timing of the scripts.  I have tried adding pauses where it seemed appropriate to do so without success.

• 6. Re: Drop down list issue
                    TSGal

Timothy Nees:

That's the key I needed.  I am able to reproduce the issue when the file is created in FileMaker Pro 11, and then upgraded to FileMaker Pro 12.  The drop down value list will appear briefly when selecting the field at the bottom of the display, and then when the value list disappears, the cursor is active in the field with no values to select.  Saving a copy of the file or running recover has no effect.

I have forwarded your posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Drop down list issue
                      TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Testing has determined the problem, and it is not related to converting.  If the field is close to touching the bottom of the form, then the value list will disappear when you tap the field.  If you move the field a few pixels up from the bottom of the form, then the value list will remain in view.  From the initial results, it appears to be related to the status bar sliding up immediately following the keyboard and initially covering the field.  I'll continue to keep you updated.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Drop down list issue
                        TimothyNees

I played around with something similar to which you refer last night.  I made the field much smaller by dragging it from the bottom up and position locked everything up.  The scroll wheel appears in portrait mode but not in landscape mode.  The scroll wheel is also smaller than it appears on the iphone (not very usefull but useable).  I then made the field taller again but pushed it over to the right leaving half the layout empty, the scroll wheel appears in landscape mode and populates the empty area to the left (again small and useable but not very usefull compared with the iphone).  It would be much more useful if we were able to position the scroll wheel and select its size, or if the scroll wheel would autosize and fill the lower portion of the screen just as it does on the iphone in the keyboard area.   Right now it seems a smaller device presents more data than the larger Ipad. 

• 9. Re: Drop down list issue
                          TSGal

Timothy Nees:

Thanks for the additional information.  I have forwarded this information to the Testers for further review.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.