1 Reply Latest reply on May 8, 2013 6:20 AM by TSGal

Edit a PDF in container field

BillJohn

Title

Hi,

Can you please advise me of the best method to open a container field PDF and edit it (with an app such as PDF expert) and save the edit?

I have tried storing the PDF externally but when I open it from Filemaker Go, it opens in Preview and I have the option to open the PDF in PDF expert but any edits are not saved. A copy of the edit is kept in PDF expert with the saved info though.

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Bill

• 1. Re: Edit a PDF in container field
          TSGal

Bill John:

Thank you for your post.

For security reasons, iOS places each application in a "sandbox".  A sandbox is a set of controls that limit the applications access to files, preferences, data, etc.  As part of this process, iOS installs each application in its own sandbox directory, which acts as the home for that application and its data.  Therefore, in FileMaker Go, when you store a file in a Container field, it is available only in that application.  When you select the file to open in "PDF expert", you switch to the sandbox of "PDF expert", where it will then open, and any changes will be saved to the sandbox of "PDF expert".

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.