5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 4:20 PM by rouelf_1

Email ODT from iOS

rouelf_1

Title

Email ODT from iOS

I have an odt (OpenOffice doc) in a container field (actual file inserted, not a reference). On iOS the file type is not recognized, though I have an OpenOffice doc opener app. Fine, so thought I would email it to my self, and open the odt doc from the email.  Problem, the unrecognized files in container will not email. Get  the following: "Sending the message content to the server failed." Is this a known issue ? Is there a work around ?  Using FM Go 11.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Email ODT from iOS
          TSGal

rouelf:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I don't have any OpenOffice documents to try here, so I would like to get a file from you so I can test this out.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Email ODT from iOS
            TSGal

rouelf:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to email the file without any issues.  Here is what I have done.

1. In FileMaker Pro 11.0v4, I created a file (0.fp7) with a Container field named "Container".

2. I created one record and inserted your file "Fernandes roots engels.odt" into "Container"

3. I created a script "Container Email" with the following steps:

Set Variable [ $path ; "file:Fernandes roots engels.odt" ]
            Export Field Contents [ 0::Container ; "$path" ; Create email ]

4. I ran the script under Pro to make verify it worked.

5. I set the file to shared.

6. I launched FileMaker Go 11 and accessed the file.

7. I ran the script "Container Email", and the email was created with the attachment and sent it.  The file was received with the attachment.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Email ODT from iOS
              rouelf_1

TSGal,

My appologies for not being clear. I tried to use the FM Go 11 built-in functions to email the "odt" file in the container, as follows:

1) Access the file in FM Go 11.

2) Tap on container field with odt doc (actual odt doc in container).

3) Select Email.

4) Add email address.

5) Send email.  After a while: the following is obtained: "Sending the message content to the server failed."

This works well with pdf's and images, but will not send the odt doc.

• 4. Re: Email ODT from iOS
                TSGal

rouelf:

I'm still unable to replicate the problem.  The file you sent does email using the steps you provided.

I've tried this with FileMaker Go 11 on an iPhone, iPod touch, iPad 1 and iPad 3.  If you have an iPad 2, I'll try it from there, too.

If you create a new database file, insert the file into a Container field, and then access it via FileMaker Go, do you get the same error?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Email ODT from iOS
                  rouelf_1

TSGal, I followed your your instructions, created a new a database, inserted the file into a container, then accessed the file in FM Go, I got the same error with the "odt" doc, but not with PDF docs. Then I rebooted the iPad, now everything is good performing as it should. The odt doc emailed as an attachment. To bad I did not think of rebooting earlier. Problem fixed.