5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2014 1:02 PM by TSGal

Emailing PDF no longer attaches

DawnWilson

Title

Emailing PDF no longer attaches

Hoping someone can help me out . . . 

I have a database I'm using to send receipts to customers. I use the Print --> PDF --> Email option. Which has worked perfectly in the past - it would create a blank email with the PDF attached.

In the last month, this no longer works. Now the receipt is showing up in the body of the email instead of as an attachment.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this so that the PDF is an attachment instead of inserted in the body? 

• 1. Re: Emailing PDF no longer attaches
          philmodjunk

You have posted to the FM GO Forum.

Are you using FileMaker GO or FileMaker PRO? (FileMaker Go is used on iPhones and iPads.)

Whether the attached PDF shows up in the body or as a separate file can be controlled by options set in the email client program, not Filemaker.

• 2. Re: Emailing PDF no longer attaches
            DawnWilson
             FileMaker GO on iPad I don't see any controls in the email client for this. And for some databases it does it as an attachment and for others it puts it in the body. And it was originally attaching it but then suddenly was putting it in the body. Nothing has changed, and it doesn't seem to matter which email client I use. So I'm pretty sure this is a FileMaker issue. anyone else seen this or have recommendations on what to try?
            • 3. Re: Emailing PDF no longer attaches
              TSGal

Dawn Wilson:

Thank you for your post.

The PDF file will attach itself to the Body of the email.  This applies to Print -> PDF -> Email and Send Mail script step.

Have you updated iOS recently?  What version of iOS are you using?

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Emailing PDF no longer attaches
                DawnWilson

I'm on iOS version 7.1

The strange thing is that on some of my databases Print --> PDF --> Email attaches it as a PDF and on other databases it inserts in the body even though it used to attach it. Not sure why it is different when the action is the same and why it seems to change randomly?

And just today, it started attaching it as an image and the recipient can't open it or do anything at all with it.

I'm not sure what to try next short of rebuilding the entire database - but there's no guarantee that will fix the problem. :(

• 5. Re: Emailing PDF no longer attaches
                  TSGal

Dawn Wilson:

The attachment may appear as an image, since that is native to Mac OS X and iOS.  Even though the file appears as an image, the recipient should be able to drag the image to the Desktop, and it will then display as a PDF file.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.