3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 3:46 PM by TSGal

Export database backup from iPad to WebDAV

d4creative

Title

Export database backup from iPad to WebDAV

I have a client who needs to use Filemaker Go on an iPad in very remote locations. There is no internet, 3G or other form of local or online backup. He can't carry a laptop everywhere to perform backups via iTunes, but wants to keep running backups during each day.

Is there ANY WAY AT ALL to save a copy of the database to an external device - for example I have an Airstash (portable webdav wireless network) which allows connection of the SD card to the iPad. But how can I transfer the files into a seperate directory for backing up? Other apps allow for external data sources but I can't find any reference to such a thing with FM Go. I desperately need a solution to this problem!!  It seems like Filemaker has not thought of reasonable and practical portable backup for FM Go.

I have tried to use the "Save a copy as" script command but I don't know what url to write to make it work. The Airstash has a directory of http://airstash.net/files which allows for direct file transfer from the iPad. But how can I get FM Go to see it?

P.S. I am loath to have to jailbreak a brand new iPad and void any warranty.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Export database backup from iPad to WebDAV
          TSGal

David Dennis:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go will only save a file to the local directory.  However, there is an Email option, so you can save the file and email it.  That is, tap the gear/wheel icon in the upper right corner, tap Save/Send, Tap Database, optiionally change the Name of the file and tap "Email".  The file will then be attached to a blank Mail message where you can then address it to a recipient.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Export database backup from iPad to WebDAV
            d4creative

I think you missed the most important factor. There is no internet or 3G connectivity in remote Australia. Email is useless. I know how to send emails and perform "Save as" script commands etc.

It seems to me that Filemaker have missed a very important aspect of profession software use. That is effective backup. We should not be dependant on iTunes to create a backups and should be able to produce an external file without having to jailbreak the device.

For example Apple's Pages, Keynote and Numbers software on iPad can ALL save/share a document to a WebDAV folder from within the app on the iPad. Filemaker should be able to do the same. It's a critical ommission to not be able to save a backup onto a separate device.

• 3. Re: Export database backup from iPad to WebDAV
              TSGal

David Dennis:

Thank you for the information about about the lack of 3G connectivity in Australia.

At this time, FileMaker Go is limited to saving files in the current FileMaker work area.  Files cannot be saved to another work area.

I would recommend you enter this product suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are populated in a database file monitored by Development and Product Management where the requests are then discussed and considered for future releases.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a few questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.