2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2011 10:46 AM by tombonge

Exporting XML in FileMaker Go

tombonge

Title

Exporting XML in FileMaker Go

I am really astonished that FileMaker Go has no support for exporting records? This seems like is should be a very basic nessecary feature for a portable device. I can understand not supporting certain formats like Excel, but no CSV or XML?

So how are people getting data out other than connecting to a remote hosted file (not always possible) or sending the entire database file?

• 1. Re: Exporting XML in FileMaker Go
          TSDuck

Hi tom bonge:

Thanks for posting.

FileMaker Go currently lacks the functionality to export records, either as XML or other formats.  The only workaround involve moving the database from the device to a desktop machine, or accessing a remote file which could export from the host end.

I encourage you to enter your request into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These requests are read by Development and Product Management where they are considered for a future release.

I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are some additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSDuck

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Exporting XML in FileMaker Go
            tombonge

Thank you for your reply, I submitted the request as suggested.

Our current solution is a script in FileMaker Go that emails a copy of the entire database file. This works even when the iPad does not have connectivity because the email will stay in the outbox until it can be sent. Having the script send an XML or CSV file instead would be much more efficient because it would be about 4k istead of 600k.

I would like to hear form other users if you have found creative ways to get your data out in a more efficent manner.