3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2010 8:01 AM by TSGal

Field height explosion on cursor entry

tcmeyers

Title

Field height explosion on cursor entry

I couldn't find a post that related to this... forgive me if it's an already-reported issue.

When a blinking text-entry cursor is in a text field, either by script or by user-touch, the field grows to at least a double-height of what it was on the layout. This happens in "desktop" FileMaker only when the field needs to get taller, but in FMGo (at least the iPhone version) it happens as soon as the cursor shows in the field. This can cause nuisance scrolling, and visual obstruction of things under the field. I can't think of why it would be necessary, especially for fields that are expecting only one word to be entered.

Is this a bug?

Two screenshots attached, one before the cursor is in the field, one after.

field-growth.png

• 1. Re: Field height explosion on cursor entry
          TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Thank you for your post.

Currently, a field will expand when entering text.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  However, you can change this by going to Layout Mode, selecting the field, View the Inspector, click the "Data" tab in the Inspector window, and in the "Field" section, check the option to "Include vertical scroll bar".

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Field height explosion on cursor entry
            tcmeyers

TSGal,

Thank you, the work-around works well. Interestingly, the 'scroll bar' isn't visible, I suppose because one line is too small, so cosmetically it's pretty good, although (since the example field is center-formatted) the cursor is slightly off center indicating that it does exist.

This will work fine for now. Should I assume that its a goal to have this be "fixed" in a future release?

-Troy

• 3. Re: Field height explosion on cursor entry
              TSGal

Troy Meyers:

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.