6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 1:11 AM by bigtom

Filemaker Crashing

HeatherKinsaul

Title

Filemaker Crashing

I am attempting to make a database from two .csv files. The files are rather large- one is 2.09 gb and the other is 1.4. It is only customer information. I converted the files from .txt to .csv after having problems uploading the files in .txt format. The first file uploaded without a problem. When I attempt to upload the second file, it keeps on crashing.

Can FileMaker handle files of that size? I need to get them into a database to sort by years and break down into smaller databases, but I can't do that when it keeps crashing. Any advice would be helpful.   Thank you 

• 1. Re: Filemaker Crashing
          AppGuy

size is not the issue...  Most of my files are 25GB+ and growing...

are you using scripts or doing a manual import?

Try closing the file in between imports..

• 2. Re: Filemaker Crashing
            TSGal

Heather Kinsaul:

Thank you for your post.

With the second file being imported...  Do some of the records get imported?  If so, assuming "X" records are imported, edit the text file and remove the first "X" records and try importing the remainder.  Does this work?  If not, try placing the next 100 records in a separate file and import the remaining records.  You can then narrow down the offending record.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Crashing
              HeatherKinsaul

Thank you both for your reply.   I am new to FileMaker and need to learn it to encourage our office to use this over the previous programs we have tried. I have tried closing it between imports and that did not help. The second file imported files the three times I tried it as I have found many repeat entries.

I am unaware how to use Scripts, I will attempt to figure that out. Also,when I attempt to search through the database for specific entries, it is extremely slow. When doing it from the main screen, it begins indexing everything. I aborted that last night, was not sure if that was necessary and it was taking far too long, however, if I do index it, does that speed this process up as well?   I have a year old Macbook Pro with a 2.5 ghz processor and 398 free gigs of data left, so I do not think it is my computer.   My installation might have messed up, as I received and error message the first time I opened the screen stating some elements were not installed properly and I cannot access any of the tutorials from the software directly, instead I have to go to the website. 

I apologize for the extraneous information, I just was not sure if there was a problem that is connecting all of these and it might be apparent if you knew everything I had experienced.   Thank you both for your help.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Crashing
                Markus Schneider

I'm a bit confused because this posting is in the FM Go Forum - You are importing the text files on the Mac into FileMaker Pro?

FileMaker reads comma-separated values (among other formats) - and chances are quite good that while converting to .csv (both formats are text-formats, btw.) something went wrong. 

Splitting the files is a very good tip and can help to isolate problematic records. How do You perform the import? By draging csv-files onto the FMP icon?

• 5. Re: Filemaker Crashing
                  philmodjunk

There is a size limit to importing from CSV files--at least when using FileMaker 11 and 12 and I have no info suggesting this changed with FileMaker 13, but that limit is in the 4GB range--about twice what you report here so it is unlikely to be a factor here unless the TS folks uncover an issue specific to FileMaker 13 that sets the limit much lower.

For More Information see:     Import of a large CSV file halts after 4GB

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 6. Re: Filemaker Crashing
                    bigtom

Indexing will make search queries faster. This may take a while with a MacBook Pro and you will need to wait for it to complete indexing. I am assuming 4GB of simple customer data is a large number of records for sure. If you have a faster computer available that will help.

Like was stated before breaking into smaller files will isolate problems.