1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2013 3:35 PM by Daniel

FileMaker Go + Dropbox

JeremyWhitted

Title

FileMaker Go + Dropbox

I use Dropbox to keep my FM file synced between my phone and two computers. However, when the file is opened in FM Go, it doesn't write the changes back to my Dropbox folder. It keeps the file on the phone.

Is there a chance that feature could be added? I understand Dropbox has an API that makes it very easy to do.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
          TSGal

Jeremy Whitted:

Thank you for your post.

I encourage you to enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These product suggestions are monitored and read by members of our Development and Product Management departments, where they are discussed and considered for a future release.

Is there a reason why you don't use FileMaker Go to access the file on one of the computers as a guest?  That way, the information would be updated automatically on the other computer.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
            JeremyWhitted

The main reason I don't access the file  on one of the computers is that I can't always get to them (not always online).

Thanks for the link! I'll add the request.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
              rwu2359

Reason A:

Because not all of us can afford Filemaker Server facing the outside world, BUT Dropbox will work in an airport lounge where there is access to wifi, SO as long as the file was not open at home then you can work on it, and when you are on the plane someone else can work on it. Would be perfect for my upcoming trip to the States especially where there is time shift involved. THEN I do not have to cope with any kind of take the file off the ipod merge records with an existing file... you get the drift.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                PatrickFogarty

Jeremy

That is such a sad and lame question.  Dropbox works just fine and is gaining tremendous steam as THE way to keep things synchronized between you computer, iPad, and iPhone.  Forget the poor business practice you employ by raking us twice (you could have made one integrated app, rather than one for iPhone and another for iPad), there is no reason to waste money on a server product and another computer when all your people need to do is support something we are quite happy with.  In fact you just pushed out an update today.  Why wasn't this feature in it?  It should be at the top of your list.

When thinking of the common man just look at FMG's pathetic requirements for web-based access vs. the simple method of working with Dropbox.  Please just support Dropbox and let marketing figure out how to make us pay for the losses from us circumventing being forced to waste good money on something we don't need.  I know they will.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                  TSGal

Patrick Fogarty:

Thank you for your post.

I also encourage you to enter your comments into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

As mentioned in my initial reply, your comments will be read by the departments who make the decision what is put into FileMaker Go.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                    TSGal

Patrick Fogarty:

Please check your Inbox at the top of this page for additional information.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                      NickBiggs

I'm interested in what this additional information in Fogarty's inbox is.  Do we have confirmation that this is coming? It really needs to happen soon.  Entirely agree with Fogarty.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                        PatrickFogarty

The additional information is that I got a warning about my content.  Either they didn't like my tone or I called them out on the truth.  So the teacher sent home a note to be signed by my parents.  I still don't have what should be.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                          JeremyWhitted

I'm sure it was your tone, Patrick. You also addressed me as if I designed this app, when I just asked about getting the functionality in FMG. I was amused a bit by that.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                            PatrickFogarty

I am perfectly capable of contributing meaningfully to an issue, if I think management is listening.

I fully understand that in a database there are file/record locking issues that present more of a challenge (than say a PDF) when sharing on the likes of a DropBox.  When you have multiple users trying to hit the database at the same time, with some in the office and some in the field, DropBox won't fly.  I get that.

That said the existing solution is hokey, cumbersome, and far too expensive for simple replication needs.  If all I want to do is keep my file(s) sync'd between my laptop, my phone, my iPad, and maybe one other device, where I CAN GUARANTEE there will never be two or more people trying to UPDATE the database at the same time, a DropBox scenario is ideal.  I would also wager that in the classic world of the 80/20 rule, 80% of your customers who want to use the iPad fall into this group.  DropBox and the like is a BOOMING business, and those people already know multi-user limitations.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                              NickBiggs

I believe Dropbox can deal with this anyway. If a file is open on two machines, the first one to save their changes is the winner and when the second person saves the file, Dropbox produces a copy of the file with his or her changes.  This may not be ideal for a large business, but I am a one man band who just wants to keep iPad, iPhone and laptop in sync. I don't even have a desktop to run a server.  Dropbox works great for syncing 1password.  That's just a database. 

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                                TSGal

Patrick Fogarty:

Management is listening.  That is why I suggested the Feature Requests web form link.

Your post had nothing to do with "called them out on the truth".  Please re-read the private message.  It was strictly the tone and violation of Forum Rule 2B.  You are free to disagree and debate an issue, but personal attacks against other forum users will not be tolerated.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                                  CooperBlack

I registered for the forums just to add that I think Dropbox syncing ability would be great for FM Go. I also added a Feature Request.

Since the last post was November and it's now the end of March I hope this hasn't been forgotten.

*Also you should look at the GoodReader app and see how they've now included syncing to Dropbox. Very clean and simple.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go + Dropbox
                                    drdavedmin

I would like to add my two cents' worth that I too would really appreciate the ability to open a file in DropBox.  I can do it with many other applications.  Why not Filemaker Go?

1 2 3 4 Previous Next