6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2010 7:33 AM by TSGal

    FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU



      FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU


      Last night's FileMaker Go update goes a long way toward solving some of the problems I encountered when version 1.0 came out. PDF creation, while perhaps not everything to everybody, is a giant step forward. My personal favorite is a new item, buried in the settings: Auto-Restore Login. On my iPhone, it was OFF by default. You can bet it's ON now. With it ON, I can open a database in FileMaker Go, switch out for any reason (phone call, to use the camera, to check my mail, whatever) and when I switch back, I DON'T get the "Some files were still open when you last quit. Dow you want to continue where you left off in those files?" message. Instead, I'm taken directly to the record in the database where I was. Just what I wanted.

      It feels pretty good to see these changes in such an early revision. When I commented on the good and bad in FileMaker Go's initial release I was HOPING that my comments would be taken constructively-- looks as if they were. Not to say that I'm responsible for any of the new features being implemented but it does appear as if someone at FileMaker is reading what we post here.

      Thanks again FileMaker for this very helpful update.

        • 1. Re: FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU

          This isn't an answer but no matter what I set that auto-restore to, I get a request for username and password. But now, it ask for all the reference files username and passwords even though they are the same... beyond annoying. With the amount of files my system links too, Go is now almost useless. 

          Some of us said that it is fine for people to be worried about security... so make a log-out system... why the heck would you be giving your iphone or ipad to someone else to do something, no they have access to your contacts, email, etc... and you are bent out of shape on a re-login???? that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Make your system log-off don't screw with something that only 10% of the users need, putting the other 90% through a mass of hoops they have to jump through. 

          I expect better from filemaker.

          • 2. Re: FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU

            Christian Boyce and Ryan Demond:

            Thank you for your comments.

            On page 10 of the "FileMaker Go Development Guide", under "File opening and closing behavior", it states:

            After FileMaker Go hibernates, you must re-enter your user name and password to return to the file, unless:

            * you are using the Guest account.

            * your user name and password match the user name and password set in the File Options dialog.

            * you have extended privileges and the keyword fmrestorelogin (lowercase) has been defined for those privileges.

            You can access the "FileMaker Go Development Guide" online at:


            Let me know if you need additional clarification.

            FileMaker, Inc.

            • 3. Re: FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU


              I understand how it used to work... I was fine with that... I understand hibernating systems and use them with my applications. What is going on now is not how it was designed to work. Now it is asking for the username and password for all REFERENCED files that database uses. Mine links to 6 different databases... now, it asks 6 times for the username and password. I don't mind it coming out of hibernation and asking to re-connect to the main database... but for it to "forget" privileges for that user through-out the database design, doesn't make any sense.

              • 4. Re: FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU

                Ryan Demond:

                Assuming you don't have the name and password match in the File Options dialog, what occurs when you create the fmrestorelogin keyword in extended privileges?  Does it still ask six times?

                FileMaker, Inc.

                • 5. Re: FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU


                  I have the same problem like Ryan Demond after updating to 1.1.1 German version. Now I am asked for every file to type in username and password.

                  The files on the iPhone are copies of our desktop solution, just only to read informations on the iPhone. On the desktop version the user have to type in user name and password every time they open the application. We don't use any auto-log-in settings.

                  • 6. Re: FileMaker Go update-- THANK YOU

                    Johannes Johannes:

                    Thank you for your post.

                    I just received a file from a customer and the extended privileges keyword "fmrestorelogin" was misspelled and not all lowercase.  Please double-check this setting.

                    FileMaker, Inc.