8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 11:26 AM by MorkAfur

FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)

MorkAfur

Title

FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)

I have a couple of Container fields where I don't show them using Hide Object When if they're empty.

In FMP, this works as expected, but in FM Go (13), the empty container fields show up.

I also have a text field that's having the same behavior even though I've said it should be hidden always.

Does FM Go not respect the "Hide Object When"?

Not sure what's going on.

Thanks,

- m

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
          philmodjunk

I set up a date picker in a popover with slide control to use in FM GO like you would use the drop down calendar in FM Pro. It makes extensive use of Hide Object When to hide buttons in the "calendar grid" near the beginning and end of the month and they work as expected so I would think that "hide object when" should work in FM Go without issue.

But I haven't tried hiding a field using FM GO that I can recall so that might or might not be the difference.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
            MorkAfur

Try the field with Hide Object and see if you get the same results.

It's not the end of the world if the Go version doesn't work the same way with Hiding Objects as FMP; just something I hadn't expected.

I sometimes put a field I want to search on on the layout so "Set Field....Perform Find" will work, but I often don't want those fields displayed (only for search). So, I put a Hide Object When "true" to always hide them. On "Go", they still show up. Yikes.

Thanks Phil.

- m

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
              rgordon

Hide Object has always worked as expected for me in FMGo.  Are you experiencing this problem across multiple files or just one file?

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
                MorkAfur

It's just in a single Solution so far. Haven't tried it on another test solution  yet.

In one case, I have Hide Object when "true". And, in another case, I hide container objects on a printed output if isEmpty(<container_field>). Both work fine in FMP, but neither in Go 13 on an iPad 2.

No idea why.

thanks,

- m

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
                  TSGal

Mork Afur:

Thank you for your post.

This should work in both FileMaker Go 13 and FileMaker Go 14.  Try creating a new file with a Container field, and set Hide Object when to IsEmpty (<container field>).

Check your original file to see if there is a second instance of the container field on the layout being overlapped.  Try creating a new layout with the container field.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
                    MorkAfur

Thanks TSGal for your reply.

Here's a bit more detail so perhaps you can verify if this is a bug.

I have two layouts: A proposal layout where a customer optionally adds up to two images to a proposal and a Print layout which optionally displays the images (one or both) if there is any image in them. It's the same two container fields in both layouts.

The Hide Object When for the first image (on the Print layout where that image area should not display if there are no images) is:

IsEmpty(Proposals::PR_IMAGE1)

The Hide Object When for the second image (on the Print layout where that image area should not display if there are no images) is:

IsEmpty(Proposals::PR_IMAGE2)

---

The container fields do not overlap.

In FMP, it works fine, but in Go 13 I still see the empty container fields on the Print Layout.

(this is using an iPad 2)

---

Additionally, I have a field I'm using for searching, but I don't want it to display since it has no use or meaning for the user (a PK field). Again, here I'm using "True" (without the quotes) for the Hide Object When.

In Go 13, this field still appears.

In FMP, the field is not shown as expected.

------

I'm wondering if, based on this complete information, you can reproduce these results.

Thanks again.

- m

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
                      TSGal

Mork Afur:

I am still unable to replicate the issue using an iPad 3, iOS 8.3 and FileMaker Go 13.0v9 (and FileMaker Go 14.0.1).

Are you able to replicate the issue in a new file?

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go 13 and "Hide Object When" (not working)
                        MorkAfur

Hi TSGal,

I must apologize.

My user told me she was using FM Go 13, but, realizing that, after our back and forths on this thread, it was unlikely there was a bug of this magnitude had not been found, I drove to her office and checked her iPad personally.

Gulp.

As I feared, her iPad's FM Go version was 12, not 13. We installed 14 and it's all good now.

Problem solved.

Thank you very much for your terrific response! :)

(sorry....)

- m