1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2015 1:07 AM by Markus Schneider

FileMaker Go 14 crash

dswatski

Title

FileMaker Go 14 crash

I installed FileMaker Go 14. I purchased the upgrade to FileMaker Advanced 14 yesterday and updated my app. It runs fine on my Mac with the latest OS. I installed FileMaker Go today on my iPhone 6, also fully up to date. I run my app. It initially loads the first screen and then immediately crashes the application. I presume it is something in the Startup script, but that doesn't narrow it down much. Any advice on how to track down the problem? The app, prior to the upgrade, ran just fine in FileMaker Go 13.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
          dswatski

I have more info. I inserted a series of 15 simple Custom Dialogs in my Startup script. It now makes it through Startup without crashing. I can resize the screen and move to some pages. When I move to a more complex Calendar page in the application, it crashes.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
            philmodjunk

I suggest opening the file in FM Pro 14 on your computer and running a recover on it to check for possible damage. It is not unheard of for hidden file damage to cause no observable problems with the file until you open it in a new version or on a platform with an updated OS.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
              dswatski

I did as suggested. I did the file consistency check first with the Advanced Options, it showed no errors. I then did the recover, that went fine. It made no difference. I disabled the Startup script. I can start the app. I found one layout with the "unsightly gradient" problem. I deleted the Part and recreated that Part. That did not fix the "unsightly gradient" problem. I can still reliably get FileMaker Go 14 to crash. 

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                TSGal

Douglas Swatski:

Thank you for your posts.

If a particular layout is causing a crash, create a new layout.  Do not duplicate the old layout as it may duplicate the cause of the crash.  Add a few fields, and then try it with FileMaker Go.  See if you are able to narrow down the issue.

Since Recover doesn't appear to fix the issue, I would like to see a copy of your database file so I can try it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                  TSGal

Douglas Swatski:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I can report that the file does crash in FileMaker Go 14, but not in FileMaker Go 13 (once I changed the file options preferences).  I haven't narrowed down the cause, but the startup script is quite lengthy.  I have submitted your file to Testing and Development for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                    philmodjunk

It's not unknown for a file with hidden damage to perform with no observable issue until the application or the OS software is updated to a new version. That may be the problem here.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                      TSGal

Douglas Swatski:

Testing has confirmed the crashing issue, but they do not know the cause.  The file has been sent to Development for review.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                        TSGal

Douglas Swatski:

The crash no longer occurs with your file under FileMaker Go 14.0.2.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                          dswatski

Five of the six crashes are fixed per my email. Item 3, Rebuild Calendar Events, still crashes the application. I am also still seen dark gradients on some list layouts.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                            TSGal

Douglas Swatski:

I'm trying to replicate, but I first get a message that the Trial has expired, and after that, I'm having difficulty finding the "Control Panel" tab.  My tabs are Home, Stories, Publishers,... and a gear icon.  The gear icon does not have an "Info" tab.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                              dswatski

To duplicate use case 3, go to the Gear tab, then the "Utilities" tab, then the 7th button down on the left for "Rebuild Calendar Events". Enable all of the checkboxes, then start the rebuild. Sorry for the incorrect "Info" tab reference. Also, thank you for your help.  -Doug.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                                TSGal

Douglas Swatski:

Thank you for the instructions.  I am able to replicate the crash, and I have given the instructions to Development and Testing for review.  I'll let you know when I receive any feedback.

TSGal
                                FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                                  TSGal

dswatski:

One of our testers has reported the crashing does not appear to occur under iOS 9.  Can you verify?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go 14 crash
                                    dswatski

I will check in the next 12 hours and let you know. Thanks.

-Doug.

Douglas J. Swatski

Sent from iPhone

1 2 Previous Next