5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 11:23 AM by TSGal

Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar

ltwimberly

Title

Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar

If the edit toolbar is disabled on FM Go and you enter a field in the lower portion of the layout where the keyboard appears, the layout doesn't scroll up in the normal manner. Instead the keyboard covers the lower portion of the layout, obscuring it. Once the keyboard is dismissed, a white translucent rectangle persists where the keyboard was. In some cases, when a field in this lower portion is entered, the keyboard immediately pops back up despite being dismissed.

I have only tested this on the iPad. It happens in both landscape and portrait mode. Everything behaves as expected if the edit toolbar is turned on.

I tried specifying "System Default" and "Default for Data Type" for the Touch keyboard type and this made no difference. I didn't try any of the other options since the bug appears to be related to the edit toolbar.

Thanks for checking on this.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar
          rgordon

This is a prime example of creating a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.  And in doing so, you actually create a problem.  I fail to see the rationale on why the "Include Edit Record Toolbar" option was ever added.  Doesn't it make sense that if you want toolbars hidden, you also want them hidden when the keyboard pops up.  Somebody was definitely asleep at the wheel when this option was discussed.  TSGAL, can you ask somebody in product development why this option was deemed to be so important that it needed to be added in FM 14?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't see the need for this option especially after seeing all of the potential headaches that it is causing.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar
            ltwimberly

A feature that would actually be helpful would be a new "Edit toolbar" or "Keyboard toolbar" layout part that could be included on a per layout basis. There are few/no cases where the default edit toolbar is useful to me, but there are many cases where I would like to extend the native keyboard. The ability to add my own buttons just above the iOS keyboard would be very empowering. Many native iOS apps offer this kind of extra row above the keyboard.  

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar
              rgordon

I like your idea.  An editable keyboard toolbar would be much better than the problematic "Include Edit Record Toolbar".

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar
                philmodjunk

I know rgordon already knows this, but this sounds like something to post here: http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

In FM GO 13, I actually figured out a way to use the Prev/next buttons in the keyboard to trip script triggers and perform scripts that made sense in a "prev/next" kind of context though that was in a very specialized layout where one edited data inside a text field where triggers limited the edits to just certain locations with in the field--a kind of "fill in the blank" interface and the two buttons then moved you forward or back from blank to blank within the same field.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go 14 keyboard bug related to edit toolbar
                  TSGal

Lee Wimberly:

Thank you for your post.

The issue has been previously reported, and I have attached this forum thread to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

I recommend entering the editable keyboard suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form populate a database file that is monitored and hosted by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the form that only you can answer.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.