6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 9:19 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server

dgreensp_1

Title

FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server

Since upgrading both our FileMaker Server software to the latest version and our FileMaker Go software on an iPad and iPhone to the latest version, every time we access a FileMaker solution from the server using FM Go the server shuts down and we have to reboot the FileMaker Sever computer to host the files once again.  This has just started happening since the latest software update.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server
          TSGal

dgreensp:

Thank you for your post.

What information is displayed in the FileMaker Server event log?

Does the server shut down, or just FileMaker Server?  It's not clear if you are rebooting the server or just FileMaker Server.

Are you able to access hosted files via FileMaker Pro?

Is FileMaker Server running on a Windows or Macintosh computer?  What version of the operating system?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server
            dgreensp_1

Event log 

- Client "Darren's iPhone 6 Plus" no longer responding; connection closed

- Client "Darren's iPhone 6 Plus" forced to close connection

No further messages after that.  All files were unable to be accessed either by the iPhone or computers accessing through Filemaker Pro.

We then had to reboot the entire computer where FileMaker Server was installed to get FMS to run properly again.  We actually needed to reboot twice as the first time FileMaker Server didn't start at all and we couldn't access the admin console.  After the second reboot we could access the admin console.

We are using a Mac computer running OS X 10.9.5

I hope this helps narrow down the issue.

Thank you,

Darren

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server
              TSGal

dgreensp:

When a client connects to FileMaker Server, FileMaker Server checks to make sure the client is still connected.  If the network temporarily becomes unavailable, FileMaker Server will continue to check for two minutes to re-establish a connection.  If a connection doesn't occur, then FileMaker Server is forced to close the connection.  Also, if there is a setting in FileMaker Server to disconnect idle users after "x" minutes, and "x" minutes passes with no activity (although still connected) by the client, then FileMaker Server will disconnect the client.

In your description, something has forced the disconnection, but it also appears FileMaker Server has become unresponsive.  Rather than rebooting the machine, does manually stopping and starting the database server have any effect?  For example,

fmsadmin stop server
              fmsadmin start server

What other steps have you taken to narrow down the possible causes?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server
                dgreensp_1

I haven't had a lot of time to look into this but tomorrow I will try to isolate the problem.  I was curious to see if others were having the same problem since the updates to both FMS and FMGo.  Will update tomorrow.  Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server
                  DonNelson

TSGal,

Where would one find the setting in FileMaker Server to disconnect idle users? I would like to pass this on to one of my staff members that is experiencing an issue with frequent disconnects for quite some time.

Thank you,

Don

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go and FileMaker Server
                    TSGal

Don Nelson:

Thank you for your post.

This setting to disconnect idle users can be found in the Admin Console under the Database Server -> FileMaker Clients tab.  See the screen shot below.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.