4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2015 8:57 PM by Gary_1

Filemaker go and import from remote

Gary_1

Title

Filemaker go and import from remote

I'm new to filemaker so any help would be great. I have seen many posts on this same issue but I can't seem to solve my problem. It seems so simple.

I'm using fm13 advanced.

I created a source file with one table and one layout. I then created a target file in which I ran a manual import from the source file. This created the layout and the table.

I created a script in target

goto layout

delete all records

import records using fmnet:/ip address/source.fmp12

On my ipad i can see the source file under hosts. I can open the file and see the data I want to import

I open the target file on the ipad and run the script. The data deletes and I get the message source.fmp12 could not be opened. (not found). I assume a problem with my fmnet entry but I don't know how to fix it. My IP address begins with 192 so I have seen a post saying that it is a private address. Not sure if that is the issue since I can see and edit the data in the host file on the ipad. The source.fmp12 is located in a subfolder in my documents folder.

Help please

gary

• 1. Re: Filemaker go and import from remote
          TSGal

Gary:

Thank you for your post.

The steps look fine.  However, it doesn't appear you have the correct IP address.  Try first using "Open File" script step to see if the file can be opened.  Also, check the IP address on the machine where the source file is hosted.  Using a local IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx) is fine if the machine is in the same vicinity and on the same Wi-Fi network.  If not, then you'll need to use the external IP address.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker go and import from remote
            Gary_1

Thanks for your reply.

I just figured it out. I was using wifi to connect. I connected through USB and it works fine. To use wifi I would have to use an external IP address I would assume.

It would be nice if you could just connect to the host on the IPAD. I assume this is for security purposes.

Thanks again

Gary

• 3. Re: Filemaker go and import from remote
              CarstenLevin

Hi Gary,

You write:

It would be nice if you could just connect to the host on the IPAD. I assume this is for security purposes.

Do I understand correctly: You would like to connect to the host on the iPad?

The problem is that FileMaker (Go) on the iPad does not have any server/host functionality build in. You can connect to the server/host from your iPad, but not from outside to the iPad.

The good thing is, that when connecting to the host from your iPad solution you can do exactly the same with the scripts as of you where connecting to the iPad.

Or did I misunderstand something here?

Best regards

Carsten

• 4. Re: Filemaker go and import from remote
                Gary_1

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe it is possible to do this and I don't know how but to explain further.

In order to import from remote on the IPAD you have to specify the IP address of the computer that is hosting the source data. It seems simpler that you could just open the source by just using the name of the host file. Open file (source.fmp12) in a script. and then perform what ever you want. On the IPAD, the source file shows up under HOSTS. Tracking the IP address is cumbersome. 

I'm sure this is much more complicated that what I know. It was just a comment.

Thanks for responding