1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2012 5:57 AM by disabled_JackRodgers

FileMaker Go and Video in External Container

DaveZavelson

Title

FileMaker Go and Video in External Container

I'm having trouble getting Filmaker Go to read from an external container within Filemaker 12.  I've got the database setup and I'm able to access the database externally over the network through FileMaker Go.  So I'm able to access all of the records and data perfectly well from my iPad with the database from the host PC.

My issue is that I have a bunch of large video files that I want to be able to play on the ipad within the database.  I've stored the video within a Container field in the host database.  When I pull up that field in FileMaker Go is just tells me that the "File cannot be found" and shows me the path of where the file is on the PC.  I've tried embedding as a QuickTime and also just a File in the container.  

For what its worth, I have been able to the video to playback on the iPad if I transfer the whole database locally with the video in the container as a file.  But this won't be a good solution for me given the size of these files.  I can't have them all stored locally within Go.  They need to be hosted elsewhere. 

Thanks for the help.

Dave

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go and Video in External Container

I wonder if putting the video file on a server and then using an embedded link to the video file rather than storing it in the container would work since your using your own network.

You can test this by placing the video file on your server and then creating a new record and check the box to store only a reference to the file. The computer the video file is on will have to be available to all of your clients, of course.

You could also place the video as a hyperlink in a web page, think YouTube and a private account, and use the web viewer to show the video. You could host your own private pages etc.

I find that using Open URL works better than the Web Viewer on an iPhone. If you have a complete network path to the video file, you might try that in Open Url. If it works for you then you can use a text field to store the pathnames and use Open URL textfield.

Using software to create web pages you can insert a link to your video and open your web page in the web viewer by saving the url in a field.

Or some other option. 

You might try using the Web Viewer to play the video in the container field.