3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2011 11:18 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Go backup in iTunes

lybbert

Title

FileMaker Go backup in iTunes

I apologize if this has been addressed before. I was not able to find a similar post.

Assume I load a Filemaker file onto my iPhone using iTunes, and use it only from my iPhone (no sharing). Also assume that I make some changes to the data while using my iPhone. Is the updated database backed up onto my harddrive when I synch my iPhone?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go backup in iTunes
          TSGal

Gregg Lybbert:

Thank you for your post.

Syncing your iPhone with iTunes will copy all files as a Backup, but you can also copy individual files.  After connecting your iPhone to iTunes, select your iPhone (under Devices) in iTunes, click the Apps tab, and under File Sharing, click on FileMaker Go.  You will now see all database files on your iPhone.  Drag the files to your Desktop (or to a specified folder) to make a backup copy.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go backup in iTunes
            lybbert

I believe that you answered my question, but I just want to double check to make sure that I understood correctly. I am aware that I can back up a file by dragging it from iTunes to the desktop (or some other location). This is not what I am asking.

What I want to know is this: Once I have copied a database file onto my iphone, if I change the database only on the iphone, and then all I do is sync the phone, nothing else, will it backup the changed file in such a way that if something happened to the iphone I could restore the modified database onto the iphone.

From what you said above I understand the answer to this question to be yes. Am I correct?

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go backup in iTunes
              TSGal

Gregg Lybbert:

Correct.  When an iPhone syncs to iTunes, it back ups all information.  When you restore your device, the backup will replace those files with the last backed up version.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.