7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 4:59 PM by alexcam

Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync

alexcam

Title

Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync

First of all thank you for porting Filemaker to the iphone ipad platforms.

I have been using Fmtouch and even if it is not perfect it does somethings better, as far as i could test.

1) FMtouch's syncronization via wifi is really a plus (I am really hoping you can come up with something similar)

2) checkboxes are extreemly slow on Filemaker Go while selecting/unselecting them on FMtouch is very fast. It seems like it takes time in redrowing the backcolor of the box. Any idea on how to speed it up?

Thanks againg for this app I have been waiting for something like it for soo long!

Alex

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
          TSGal

AlexCamilli:

Thank you for your post.

Can you expand a bit on "checkboxes are extremely slow".  I notice a slight delay of 1/2 second.  Is it slower with your table?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
            alexcam

Thanks for the reply TSGal

I have tried to stopwatch the time and it is about 1.1 1.2seconds and I have also realized it depends on the size of the controller. On my layout in FMtouch I did make a 48px by 48px check-box with the font set to helvetica 55 in size. That shows only a square and crops away the label. The "extremely slow" part was mainly due to comparing its behavior to what I am accustomed to use (FMtouch) that has no delay at all. Since for the layout I need to have several check-boxes and they need to be quickly selected or deselected even a 1.1seconds per check-box is an extremely slow output. Moreover once checked the controller shows a different background color and cannot figure out where to change it to be either transparent or in tone with the unchecked status. Could you help me there ttoo please.

Alex

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
              TSGal

AlexCamilli:

Since you are using FMTouch, I assume you are using this on either an iPhone or iPod touch.  I have set four different Text fields formatted as Checkbox fields with one value, and I have made the field 48 pixels by 48 pixels, set it to Helvetica and 55 pixels in size.  Still, my delay is only 0.5 seconds.  How many fields do you have?  How many fields are set for checkbox values?

For your field, are you using any background color?  Fill color?  I set my line to 1 pt, black, transparent, and fill to white transparent.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
                alexcam

I am using it on a iTouch 3rd generation device. And taking out the fill speeds it a little bit but still noway near usable. The delay itself would not be a problem if the database would record the sequence properly. Let me try to explain better what happens: I have several check boxes and several radio button (I know radio buttons have the problem that once touched they will not revert to the untouched state, but it is ok for me) Now what I am supposed to do is to quickly select (one after the other without pausing) up to six check-boxes and do the same to up to six radio buttons. Now on FMtouch works as expected, while on Filemaker_GO it would not remember all six fields and due to the delay it forgets some touches. However since those databases do not have any sensitive data I can provide both the xlm and the fp7 file for you folk to play around, if you wish so. It is a very basic data input form, it was simple due to the inability of FMtouch of doing things like summary and so on.... so up to now I where imputing data on the go but had to wait to go back to a mac to see computations and summaries on those data. Now i must say that thanks to FilemakerGo I am very excited to be able to have a truly working mobile database that suits my needs so I really hoping you can do something about the delay :)

thanks again

Alex

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
                  TSGal

AlexCamilli:

Thanks for the additional information.

Yes, I would like to obtain a clone of your database file so I can work with it here and forward it on to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review.  This will help them see what a customer is trying to do and the impact it has.  Check your Inbox (top of this page) for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
                    TSGal

AlexCamilli:

I received your files.  Thank you.

I can replicate the delay.  The cause is the rendering of the background image.  Without the background image, the check mark is back to the 0.5 seconds delay.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go checkbox  slow and sync
                      alexcam

Thanks I got to try with no background and indeed is a bit faster but still not enough. If you try to push in rapid sequence all six check boxes FMgo won't record all imputs, and that is the main thing that prevents usability vs a snappy interface. Since Fmtouch manages to deliver that I hope you can figure it out as well and maybe in the next updates fix it.