1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 9:21 AM by TSGal

Filemaker Go Crash

DaleChristie

Title

Filemaker Go Crash

Occasionally the Filemaker Go app crashes while the user is creating a new record. The database has 335 fields and I susppect this is related. My other databases work fine. It happens mostly when the user starts the app, but occasionally during the data entry as well. I haven't found any consistancy for when the crashes occur. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need it to be more reliable. What would cause it to crash more: high # of fields, large layout, lots of graphics, etc? if it is an issue of running out of memory, how do I know what is being used and what design attributes use the most memory?

I appreciate any feedback.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
          TSGal

Dale Christie:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing your database file, it is difficult to determine why FileMaker Go is crashing.  Keep in mind that a lot of graphics and objects will take some memory to process and access.  Limiting the number of graphcis on the layout might help.  I'm also assuming all 335 fields are not being displayed at one time.  Do you skip between layouts when entering data?  Or, are all fields displayed in one long layout?

You mentioned your "other databases work fine".  Can you describe them a bit more?  That is, how many fields?  How many Layouts?  What information do you have in the Layouts?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
            DaleChristie

TSGal,

Thanks for your response. Currently I am using ONE large layout containing about 300 of the 335 fields. The remaining fields are mostly calculation or summary fields. I considered more than one layout to break up the size, but I haven't thought of a good way to implement the data collection in that manner. The database is being used as an inspection for our manufacturing department. They use the layout as a checklist to complete for each machine that is built. So because it is a checklist, all steps in the layout are required. So when I broke up the form into three layouts, I could not create a script to change layouts to the 2nd "page" without committing the record and I couldn't commit  the record without all the fields being validated. You see my problem? Maybe there is a different design strategy I could use for my inspection usage.

To answer your other questions, my other databases are used in a similar manner; they are used to inspect manufacturing of machines. But the other databases have less than 100 fields. The largest one has 35 questions and most questions has 2 fields associated to it. Most of the questions have radio button objects.

Attached is a sample image of one of the inspection forms.

Any advice for me to redesign my database to be more stable?

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
              TSGal

Dale Christie:

Thanks for the screen shot.

Although this is issue is probably memory related, can you let me know if you are running this on an iPad 2 or first iPad?  Also, it would be helpful to us if we could get a copy of the file so we can try it here and provide some insight into what may be contributing to the crashing.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send your file (or copy of the file with no records).

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                DaleChristie

TSGal,

I am using iPad2's. I have emailed you a copy of the file for your review. Please let me know if you did not receive it.  Thanks for your help.

Dale

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                  TSGal

Dale Christie:

My apologies for not replying sooner.

I did receive both files last Friday, and I have forwarded everything to our Testing department for review.  I will keep you posted when information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                    DaleChristie

TSGal,

No need to apologize. You hare helping me with free support and I can't complain and am very grateful. I have additional information related to the crashes. I have found all the crash logs on the iPad. Would you like any of them to analyze? Also, if I was to call in and pay for technical support, could I get any information or feedback? The reason I ask this is because I'm under more pressure to resolve the problem. Do you have any estimation when the testing department may review my files?

Dale   

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                      TSGal

Dale Christie:

If you have acess to the crash logs in relation to FileMaker Go, then by all means send them in.

Although I haven't yet received feedback from our Testing department, one of our support technicians is currently using the file and trying unsuccessfully to make it crash.  He has added records, taken pictures and applied them to the Container fields, scrolled through all records, etc.  Do you have any specific steps that you know will cause FileMaker Go to eventually crash?  This may be helpful.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                        DaleChristie

TSGal,

I will send all the crash logs to the same address I sent the database files to.

I have not been able to reproduce the crashes. Most of the times I've seen the crashes were during the loading of the databases. The technician that has been using the iPad says it almost always has happened while entering data in the fields. Never during text entry, but selecting options in the radio button fields of the layout. This morning he had problems even loading the database, but that was because the iPad was connected to a distant network access point with low signal strength. I know that has not been the case for the other crashes though. He has a Access point within 20' of him. I also had him try a second iPad2 in case it was the hardware.

After reviewing the crashlogs, most of them had an exception type of EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) or EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

I will forward them to you now.

As I wrote before, I don't mind paying for support if that would provide me any different services or expedited responses. Please don't think I'm not appreciative, I just want to know my options.

Dale

• 9. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                          TSGal

Dale Christie:

I received the crash log files, and I have sent them on to the tester for review, along with your latest comments.

You can call into support, but you'll get another technician asking for the files, where they will also be forwarded to the Testing team for review, and you'll still have to wait for a response.  The support technician already working on your files is the resident expert with FileMaker Go, so you are probably getting the best attention now.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                            DaleChristie

TSGal,

Ok, I understand. Thanks for the explanation. For tomorrow's use of the database, I have copied the file directly onto the iPad. This will eliminate the network as a variable. I hope this gives me a clue to the problem. If the problem is the same, than at least I've ruled out the network and server.

Is there a design guide or other product document available to me that can help me understand the memory usage? If it truly is a memory issue, how do I learn to better design layouts & databases? For example, what uses the most resources in a layout: fields, tabs, scripts, calculation fields, summary fields, conditional formatting, etc.. Beyond making this database work, I want to learn how to better design databases for stability and performance. I know right now your team can't reproduce the problem and it is hard to be sure what I have done wrong, but I hope to learn from your testing or at least have a better game plan.

Thanks again,

Dale

• 11. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                              TSGal

Dale Christie:

There is nothing written regarding what takes up memory in FileMaker Go.  However, anytime a graphic or picture is involved, it will require more memory to display compared to a text field with a couple lines of data.  In your example, I only see a couple of graphic pictures on the layout.  I noticed a few Container fields at the bottom of the layout, but for the most part, these are empty.  If there was a picture in these Container fields, then it would require some additional memory to display it.

The conditional formatting does require memory to calculate.  You may want to experiment using three separate layouts for the Inspections.  That is, the Test Quantity field determines which fields are to be displayed.  Perhaps clicking this could take you to the appropriate Layout with the desired fields instead of calculating which ones to display in the layout.  That is, if you click 1, then switch to a layout that only displays the Inspection #1 fields.  Click 2, and switch to the layout that displays the Inspection #1 and Inspection #2 fields.  Click 3, and switch to the layout that displays all three Inspection fields.  Does that make sense?

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                                DaleChristie

TSGal,

That does make sense. That is a very good thought. Currently, 90% of the time the test quantity is 3, so most of the time we have to use the most populated, field intensive layout. If I knew the tabs, and scripts associated with the test quantity was a significant memory burden, than I'd make that change for sure. But if I had three layouts than everytime there is a change, I'd have to make it to three different layouts. That would be a maintenance burden. That's just my thoughts on it. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Dale

• 13. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                                  TSGal

Dale Christie:

First, having "tabs and scripts associated with the test quantity" is NOT a "significant memory burden".  I'm just looking at ways to decrease the memory footprint (assuming this issue is memory related).  If you are continually making changes to the layouts, then keep everything in the same layout.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Filemaker Go Crash
                                    TSGal

Dale Christie:

Our key tester is also unable to make this crash.  He did mention that I should make sure the customer (you) updates to iOS 5.1.

TSGal
                                    FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next