10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 6:12 AM by DavidMansfield_2

FileMaker Go crash and loose records

DavidMansfield_2

Title

FileMaker Go crash and loose records

Hi all,

We have been having problems with a new database we made running in FileMaker Go 14 (offline, not connected to server).

We had the same problem in an old database on FMgo13.

Occasionally users will be creating records in a portal, maybe 3, maybe 20 and then FileMaker crashes (this can be after 1 minute of adding records or 30minutes).

When they re-open the file, everything they added in that session to the portal is gone! as if it did not save anything.
      I find it odd as I believed that FileMaker working as a database was saving each field even when you exit to go to another field, however it feels like the iPad app is using a cache version of the database, and then only saving some of the most recent changes when it exits.

Does anyone else experience this when working with files stored locally on the FMgo app?

David.

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
          philmodjunk

FileMaker does not save data field by field. It would appear that you had records open for editing with changes not yet committed when the crash occurred and your data was lost.

Commit records will happen when:

1. You click/tap a blank area of the layout
          3. A script performs the commit records step
          5. you or a script change layouts
          7. You change records in your layout's found set (but not when you change portal rows in a portal).
          9. the file is closed (but not due to a crash)
          • 2. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
            schamblee

I would be more concern with the reason the database is crashing.   FMGo 13 had a memory link issue that has been mostly fixed in FMGo 14.  Have you ran recover on the database?   File corruption can cause the database to crash and crashes can also corrupt the database.  I would try to identify the steps taken which cause the crash to occur.    

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
              Markus Schneider

FileMaker Go 14 still has or had that issue (as mentioned in one of the answers of the TS). Since there is no information available for changes done for the 14.02 patch (FMGo), I'm not sure if something (or what) was changed

It will happen mostly when one switches to another app, coming back to Go or when changing layouts. It's a terrible issue, one loses data - a absolutely no-go. Data will be lost even when the user tapped outside of the field heshe was entering data..

)-:

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                DavidMansfield_2

I did attempt to resolve the problem by going a bit crazy with adding "commit record" scripts everywhere that they would touch, but it appears that it still is possible to loose data, I think I will try adding a single button to the toolbar called save that will do a commit data so that the users are exiting the fields totally.

I have asked users to make sure they are not switching between applications when using FileMaker, and they tell me they are not however it isn't possible for me to be sure unfortunately.

As for the cause of the crashes, I have never been able to determine what exactly causes them. They happen on different databases I have (only noticed when working of a file stored on the device) and usually when I am using a portal or leave a layout with a portal on it, but I have on occasion been able to replicate the users problems and tried filling in records to a portal only to have FMGO 14 just close then open it back up with none of the previous 5minutes of records I added just as Markus is finding.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                  schamblee

David

I suggest posting on the "Report an Issue", that way the issue is in front FM TS and maybe with a enough users reporting the issue then FM can  track down the cause.   Users never tell everything because they afraid you are going to blame them for the problem, but maybe if you get a enough feedback then you could forward that information to FM and then maybe it could be fixed.  There were some portal issues in FMGo 13 as well as the memory leak issue, so it could be related. Which is why TS need this type information.  The issue in FMGo 13 had to do with large volume of records in the portal.  The more information you can provide the better. 

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                    DavidMansfield_2

Thanks Stacy, I hadn't ever seen that section of the forum before. I will raise it there also.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                      Markus Schneider

Are there layout-changes involved? That was/is the 'big' one with FMGo14. Adding a pause-scriptstep (only 0.1 or so seconds) helped a bit. Seemed like FMGo's code steps onto its own feet...

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                        DavidMansfield_2

There are no layout changes involved during the crashes.

It is all in one layout, however it is all in a slide control with the menu buttons I created changing the slide control.
                        But we have seen crashes simply using the data entry when users are not changing anything or running scripts that change layouts.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                          rgordon

Records in a portal will not be saved until the current record is committed. Get(recordopenstate) lets you know if the current record is committed or uncommitted. You can use the following script with an on exit script trigger to automatically commit a record when you exit a field:

If[Get(RecordOpenState) >  0]

commit records

End If

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go crash and loose records
                            DavidMansfield_2

Records in a portal will not be saved until the current record is committed. Get(recordopenstate) lets you know if the current record is committed or uncommitted. You can use the following script with an on exit script trigger to automatically commit a record when you exit a field:

If[Get(RecordOpenState) >  0]

commit records

End If

Thanks, I will give it a try and see if it makes a difference.