7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2012 2:39 PM by TSGal

Filemaker Go data sharing

snimmo

Title

Filemaker Go data sharing

New to Filemaker so trying to get a grasp on how thes pieces fit together. Want to be able to connect to a common database using Filemake Go so I can work interactively with the database with multiple users using Filemaker Go. It seems you can do this with regular Filemaker 12 but do not want my user to have to purchase a license for Filemaker to interact with my database.

I think I can publish to a web database but will that allow Filemaker Go 12 users to update the database so other Filemake Go users can see the changes as well? I'm hoping Filemaker Go can be a real time client with my database.

Please point me in the right direction on which tools and approach to use.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
          TSGal

Steve Nimmo:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go cannot host database files.  FileMaker Go can access a FileMaker Pro database file either via a Desktop machine running FileMaker Pro, or through FileMaker Server.  If you can place your file on a Desktop machine, then you can have other FileMaker Go users access that file and make changes in real-time.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
            snimmo

Thanks for the post. I have purchased Filemaker Pro Server so assume that would apply to the Web Database version as well. Enter data in Filemaker Go app and it will update the Web Database on Filemaker Pro 12 Server as well as allow a different Filemaker Go user to see that change real time?

That's what I was hoping for at least. The app I have in mind will gather information from multiple users to provide a final result to all based on the input of each individual user's data. In other words, everyone give the server your score (honor system) and I will broadcast the winner to all.

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
              TSGal

Steve Nimmo:

If you have FileMaker Server, then FileMaker Go users can access the file in real-time, regardless if other users are accessing it via Web Publishing.  FileMaker Go acts exactly like a FileMaker Pro client when accessing FileMaker Server.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
                GuyCrucil

IS there any place to look at how this all works?  I'd like to read up on the entire process before upgrading my current server computer from Filemaker Server 11 to 12.  We're a small Mac Based company with a great customer database used in our office, and through networked Macs in the office we can currently review the database on our Server. But we want to take a step further, and get that same database through our mobile devices. So I wish to review the process of installing Filemaker Go on our iPhones and iPads to see how simple it is to look at our office database from these mobile devices.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
                  TSGal

Guy Crucil:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Go would act just like FileMaker Pro when accessing a hosted file.  I would recommend downloading a trial version of FileMaker Pro from our web site at:

http://info.filemaker.com/US-en-FMP-Trial-Form.html?try=fmp12-product-try

Once installed, then create a new file in FileMaker Pro 12 and host it.  That is, make the file available over the network.  Note IP Address.

Then, download FileMaker Go 12 from the Mac App Store, install it on your iOS device, launch it, and access the file over 3G or Wi-Fi network.

Let me know if you need additional clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
                    GuyCrucil

Ok, but I have Comcast with a dynamic IP address, so does this mean I'd have to upgrade to a single static IP address for my server?

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go data sharing
                      TSGal

Guy Crucil:

If you have a dynamic IP address, then it makes it a bit difficult.  Each day, when you log onto your computer, go to whatismyip.com to get the current IP address for your computer that day.  Also, once the file is open in FileMaker Pro, revisit Network Sharing and compare the IP Address.  Then, use this IP address in FileMaker Go (or other FileMaker Pro client) to access the database file.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.