11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2013 5:41 AM by aleman1474

Filemaker Go from remote

aleman1474

Title

Filemaker Go from remote

I'm testing Filemaker Pro 12 to understand if it can work well for my business.

I have manage to link correctly my worksheets with filemaker pro, but I cannot configure the file and filemaker go on my iphone to work correctly from remote. It seems to me that is just working if my iphone can detect my Macbook as local host.

I've heard about up to 9 clients able to connect from remote. Is it true? How?

I will appreciate if someone is able to help me.

Alessandro

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
          TSGal

Alessandro Mancini:

Thank you for your post.

With FileMaker Pro launched on your desktop computer, make sure Network Sharing is turned on, and that the file is set for access.

Launch FileMaker Go on your iPhone, tap "Open File Browser...", and then tap "Local Network Hosts".  This will then list all the hosts on the local area network.  Tap the machine hosting your FileMaker Pro file, and then tap the hosted file to access it.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
            aleman1474

Thanks for your answer! I've done it already and it works perfectly.

What I need is the access from remote. If my computer is @ home with the file open, I need to know how can I connect with my Iphone when I'm not @ home. Can you explain me this procedure, please?

Thank you,

Alessandro

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
              TSGal

Alessandro Mancini:

If your file is open on your home machine, tap "Open File Browser", and then at the very bottom of the "Favorite Hosts" section, tap "Add Host...".  You will then be prompted for a Host Address.  Enter the IP Address of the host machine and click "Save" in the upper right corner.  Your home computer will now be listed under Favorite Hots.  At any time, tap your host computer, and the shared file(s) will be listed that you can access.

Let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                LeoLoiero

This does not help me as I too am having this problem. I followed all the instructions, but when I go to access my database via filemaker Go, I get an error that says;

"The file ...fmp12 could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host."

This makes no sense, because I know the file exists obviously and I turned on the network sharing option. I've also uploaded a screen shot of my phone and the error message.

Please help

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                  aleman1474

As Leo, the answer doesn't help me, too. I still have the same problem. Which is the IP range that can be reached from remote?

Please advice,

Alessandro

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                    TSGal

Leo Loiero:

Thank you for your post.

Are you able to access the host?  That is, in the screen shot above, tap "Open File Browser...".  At the bottom of Favorite Hosts, tap "Add Host...".  Then, enter the IP Address of the host machine.  Once entered, then tap the IP Address listed under Favorite Hosts.  The file listing should appear within a couple of seconds.  If not, then when it asks for the filename, enter the name of the file with the .fmp12 extension.

If this still doesn't work, then try opening some other files in FileMaker Pro, and set them for sharing with all users.  See if these other files appear when you access the server from FileMaker Go.  If so, then return to your original file, turn off access and save, and then turn on access for all users and save.  Then try again.

If other files don't display, and you are trying to access the files via Wi-Fi, then try rebooting your Wi-Fi router.

Make sure you also have port 5003 open, as this is the port FileMaker Pro uses for sharing files.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                      TSGal

Alessandro Mancini:

Do you have another copy of FileMaker Pro?  If so, see if you can access the file as a guest.  If so, then we'll focus on the iPhone.  If not, then we'll focus on the sharing settings for the file.

If you don't have access to another FileMaker Pro, then turn off network sharing,, save it, and then turn it back on again and make access available for all users.  Also, make sure there is no checkmark next to "Don't display in Open Remote File dialog."

In the Sharing dialog box, does it display two IP Addresses (external and internal)?  If so, try using the internal IP Address.

Try switching to a different Wi-Fi network.  Or, use an Ad Hoc Wi-Fi network.  If using an Ad Hoc network, Airplane Mode may need to be turned on.

Continue to keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                        aleman1474

I'm during the trial period so I don't have other copy of Filemaker Pro. As I said, I have succesfully connected both and Iphone and Ipad to my file using Filemaker Go. The internal IP (range 10.0.0....) works well, but only locally. If I use the external one (10.211.5.2) I can't reach the file. 

Should I change any reuter confirguration to be visible from outside the local network?

Thank for your valuable support.

Alessandro

• 9. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                          TSGal

Alessandro:

Thank you for the additional information.  

It may be a router configuration, but it may also be a port forwarding issue.  Please see Knowledge Base Articles #9770 and #7840:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9770

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7840

You may also find Knowledge Base Article #7768 helpful:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7768

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                            schamblee

Here is a link to another post that gives instructions. Cannot remotely connect to FMP 12 from iPad or iPhone

• 11. Re: Filemaker Go from remote
                              aleman1474

Thanks S Chamblee for the suggested post!

Actually It was not easy to do the port forwarding in my Technicolor Reuter, but it seems that is working well!!!

I appreciate all your support!

Alessandro