6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2012 5:25 PM by EfficientBizz_disabled

FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!

RobertoTrevisan

Title

FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!

FMgo 1.2.4 on iPad 3

Target DB  and Source DB both hosted on FileMaker Pro 11

There is a script on Target DB that imports record from Source DB (same fields)

If you run the script on FMgo (with both DB open), a window asks you to access the source DB (even with guest full access it will ask for Admin, even if no pass), but even if you do, you get a "(803): File already open but single user".

- both files are shared

- external data sources are fine

- the import runs without problems if done in another client PC on regular FMpro.

I am in the middle of delivering a solution: this is really a drag.

Any help ?

Thanks

Trevix

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!
          TSGal

Roberto Trevisan:

Thank you for your post.

Error 803 ususally occurs when FileMaker Go has lost connection with the hosted file and tries to re-establish connection.  During the time the file was open, did you switch to another application?  Did you change network settings?  Do you have the fmrestorelogin extended privilege?

Please provide any other information that will help replicate the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!
            RobertoTrevisan

Hi and thanks for answering

None of the above.

The one described is a plain, start from scratch, as easy as you can get example. Is a proof file that I made to verify the problem that persisted on my solution.

It works fine on PC and Mac. On FMgo, hosted by PC or Mac, you load the two files (actually DBTarget loads DBSource), you launch the script and it fails

No extended privilege except for FM sharing

Network setting is always the same.

Even if you go back and forth on FMgo between the two files (related or not related) so as two be sure you have the permissions (actually they are all open), when you run the script it always ask to login to DBSource (and then it fails)

The problem is very easy to reproduce.

Trevix

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!

When the script was created on FM, the file to be imported is in the same folder as the file doing the importing.

So, you need to create your import script from File A to File B using either wifi or an internet or lan connection. 

If you simply open file A in folder A and ask it to import from file B in Folder A, this will not work in GO for your hosted file B on your desktop.

If you have two computers its easy, just open A on computer one and create the import from B on computer two. File A should then work on your IOS device (I haven't verified this). Of course B must stay where it is and use the same connection as the import used.

Fortunately if the IP address changes you can modify the ip address using modify external source in File A.

I've tried creating links within the same file using one laptop and only managed to create problems for myself. I think this needs two computers to set up properly.

The IP of the importing computer shouldn't be critical but it is for the file being imported.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!
                RobertoTrevisan

I did some experiment, to no result (if I have understood what you meant):

- computer A hosts DBTarget and DBsource on FMpro 11

- computer B client on FMpro11

- iPAd3 with FMGo (11.0.1)

Experiment 1: on computer B I open the import script of DBTarget and set the source as remote DBSource (fmnet:/192.168.1.134/DBSource). It will end up on the source window as "file:DBSource". On the iPad does not work, as said above, on conputer B and A works fine...

Experiment 2: on computer B I open the import script of DBTarget and set the source as a network path to the fisical file on the computer A ("filemac:/C_MacPc/DBSource.fp7"). 

On computer A works only if I add the remote source as in experiment 1.

On computer B never works (error 802: impossible to open the file...I'm not sure if it is a problem of network, but the folder on comp A where the 2 files are is perfectly writable from computer B)

On iPad does not works. Same as always.

I tried to creat the import script completely on computer B to no result

Anyway it would be strange that you need 2 computer in order to make an import script work on the iPad...

Beside, on the iPad I am trying to do a local/local import, not a local/remote. The two files are both open. The FMGo simply seems not to know that the other file is righ next to it (or at least the representation of the remote file...I think)

Trevix

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!
                  RobertoTrevisan

AAAAAHHHH !!!

If, like in experiment 1, I select in computer B the remote source but instead of giving an ok, that places a "file:DBSource" on the window, I copy the "fmnet:/192.168.1.134/DBSource" and paste it, then it works on the iPad.

If you may host on a different computer,s like a customer computers, you must compose the "fmnet:/192.168.1.134/DBSource" string as a variable...No problem but rather confusing since is needed only in order to use FMgo.

Bah ! (I always had problems with the path handling of FM..."file:" "filewin" why can't they always be just "file:". The need to differentiate OSX and Wins, since the paths on FM are so similar, should be left to the inner working of FM)

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go IMPORT does not work!

Bah ! (I always had problems with the path handling of FM..."file:" "filewin" why can't they always be just "file:". The need to differentiate OSX and Wins, since the paths on FM are so similar, should be left to the inner working of FM)

My speech. Especially when dealing with PlugIns (like TROI - FilePlug or Dacon FileFire)