4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2010 7:05 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Go Initial Screen

grwilde

Title

FileMaker Go Initial Screen

I cannot get the 1.0.2 versions of FileMaker Go for both the iPhone and iPad to display the correct initial layout when a file first opens. The previous 1.0.1 versions did not display an incorrect layout when FileMaker Go first opened a file. This seems to occur in version 1.0.2 prior to the Startup script executing. My Startup script selects the proper initial layout for the device being used - but when version 1.0.2 opens a file it initially selects an undesired layout. How do I prevent this from happening, or do I have to go back to version 1.0.1?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go Initial Screen
          TSGal

George Wilde:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  I have set my File Options to open to a particular Layout when the file opens, and it works properly on my iPad and iPhone.  I change the File Options to another Layout, and when I open the file with FileMaker Go, it opens to that changed Layout.

How many layouts do you have?  Do any of the layouts have the same name?  Any other information you can provide about your database file may help me replicate the problem.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go Initial Screen
            grwilde

I have 365 layouts in my FileMaker file, with several designed specifically for the iPhone and iPad. I am not  using File Options to control the initial layout, because I want the initial layout to be specific to the device I am using (eg; different layouts for Mac, iPhone, and iPad). Instead I am using a Startup script to detect the device and load the proper initial layout. This works fine on Mac and Windows, and worked with version 1.0.1 of FileMaker Go. FileMaker Go 1.0.2 seems to select some other initial layout while it is loading and before the startup script executes. I guess I could create a black layout and select it as the initial layout in File Options during loading of the file, but I don't believe I should have to do this. My FileMaker file is about 85 MB and takes a little while to load - but performance is still very good.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go Initial Screen
              grwilde

If I initially select a blank layout in File Options, the blank layout appears immediately when loading the file in FileMaker Go 1.0.2 until the Startup Script layout choice is executed. At least I don't have some extraneous layout appearing. It would be much better if FileMaker allowed a choice of initial layout (or splash screen) based upon the device being used.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go Initial Screen
                TSGal

George Wilde:

Thank you for your post.

As FileMaker Go launches, it displays a layout prior to launching a script.  I encourage you to enter the suggestion of loading the appropriate layout based on the device into our Feature Requests web form located at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These entries are read by members of our Development and Product Management departments and discussed for inclusion in a future release

For another possible workaround, since the performance is slower on an iPhone/iPod touch, you may want to consider loading the iPhone layout first, and then switch to an iPad layout after the script runs.  With the iPhone, the layout can remain the same.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.