9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2010 1:52 PM by notaclone

Filemaker Go Remote

MikedeAlmeida

Title

Filemaker Go Remote

Hello,

We are running Filemaker Pro 10 for our inventory, to do lists and other things.  We have FMpro on one machine that is shared by 2 other people that contribute using the web interface.  I bought FMGO to allow me to update the computer inventory and my to do list while not near a computer.  It works great sending the files through Dropbox to the iPad and updating.  I don't know how to get the changes back to Dropbox, though.  I also can't connect to the Filemaker network with FMPro for some reason.  I think it's due to the wireless routers on campus being in a different subnet then the FMPro machine.  So 2 questions.

1> Is it possible to share this database over the Filemaker Network being on 2 different subnets?

2> Is is possible to send the changes back to Dropbox from the iPad to reload the file in FMPro?

Thank you for your help.

Mike D
      Audio/Computer Tech
      University of Hartford

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
          TSGal

Mike de Almeida:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can share database files over the network.  You will need to make sure the static IP Address is accessible outside the subnet.  When you launch FileMaker Go, on the right side of the iPad display, to the right of "Remote Files and Hosts", tap the far right icon.  You are then prompted for the Host Address.  Enter the IP Address of the remote machine and tap Done.  Now, when you tap that IP Address, the files on that server (if accessible) will be listed.

Once you download the file from Dropbox to the iPad, you can make changes.  Use iTunes to place that file back on the main computer.  For more information, see Knowledge Base Article #7769 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7769

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
            Bilderwerkstatt

Hello,

I do have some remarks. Connecting via IP only works within my local network and when the FM11 database is opened on the computer. Whn I tried connecting while the FM database was closed FM Go said "no files avaible".

This is really a basic missing subject with FM Go that you do not get FM files sent by mail or ftp. Even the script "save as PDF" thats psrt of FM11 Pro does not work. And nobody really  needs FM on his iPad when I has to wait till he is back at his MacBook or Computer to connect iTunes with USB.

I am really hopping for a quick update

Greetings Bilderwerkstatt

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
              TSGal

Bilderwerkstatt:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro can only open a file remotely if the file is being hosted by FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro.  If the file is closed, FileMaker Pro cannot access the file.  The same applies for FileMaker Go.

Please enter your suggestion for "Save as PDF" into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web entries are read by members of our Development and Product Management departments where the suggestions are discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your suggestion and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions that only you can answer.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
                docgould

I have a similar question. I have my FM11 open on my MaBook at home.  I am trying to get my iPhone and iPad to communicate with FM11 from work.  Both MF to go work on my home wifi network but I cannot get them to communicate from another wifi network (iPad from work) or 3G (iPhone from anywhere).  I have made sure that my home IP address matches the one in FM and FM to go but to no avail.  On my phone (over 3G), I get the message "(no files available)" when I try to connect to the host. Any suggestions?

I appreciate all your guy's help in advance ...

J

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
                  TSGal

J G:

Thank you for your post.

Make sure the IP Address on your MacBook is accessible from outside the local area network.  Otherwise, you would get a no file available message.  Also, verify your IP Address on the MacBook by going to www.whatismyip.com.

For additional information, please see Knowledge Base Article #7768 at:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7768

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
                    docgould

TSGal,

Thanks for your help so far.  I've tried to figure out this IP address thing.  Here are the problems I am running into:

1) different IP addresses: My ethernet router has the address 192.(...).1. My airport express has the address 192.(...).12. whatismyip.com says that my address is 97.(...).61.  I've tried inputting all three on my iPhone (trying to log in over 3G) without success.

2) My firewall is off under "security" in system preferences. Is there anything I need to change on my computer's preferences?

3) I read the article you referenced. I researched port forwarding a little bit and have figured out how to access my router (with the 192.(...).1 address) through my browser.  Once on this screen, I am a little overwhelmed.  Is this where I am supposed to be? What exactly do I need to change if I am in the right spot. Since I don't really know my way around here, I don't want to muck around and mess something up that I have no idea how to fix.

Thanks, J

• 7. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
                      TSGal

J G:

The 192.168.xxx.xxx is generally a local area network IP Address.  The whatismyip IP Address is the IP address available from outside the local network.  Th 97.xxx.xxx.61 is the IP address you should be using.

Try using FileMaker Pro from another machine outside the local area network and see if you can open the file remotely using:

fmnet://97.xxx.xxx.61/filename.fp7

If that doesn't work, then port 5003 is being blocked.  If you are uncomfortable with setting the router information or difficulty understanding your router, you may want to seek some help from your ISP.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
                        ric

if you want to communicate true internet better that you thake a dyndns free account you install the dyndns after on your pc or mac run it in startup after your run your dbase in filemaker pro you shared after that do test to connect filemaker go from uotside you network

its running for me on 3g and wifi

goto ricop.dyndns.org in your filemaker go host and try it

• 9. Re: Filemaker Go Remote
                          notaclone

It's not hard to set up an airport. This is for version 5.5 AP Utility (not sure if your Express works with this version):

Click manual setup (so you can see all the config tabs). Go to Advanced, Port Mapping, create an instance [+], enter 5003 in the port fields and the IP of the FM hosting CPU on your internal network. Hit Continue, don't choose a service, and then fill in a description. You should be able to Google a step by step visual instruction.

I found my cable-hosted IP, despite being dynamic, has not changed in over 4 years. I went to the Apple Store, found FM Go is loaded on the iPads, and entered my external IP and voila.

Just in case, I keep the IP Address widget in Dashboard with 3 instances, letting me know my external IP, my wifi IP, and my wired IP.