1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 12:58 PM by TSGal

FileMaker Go Self Import  - Import from one table to another table - same file?

Scott Van Nostrand

Title

FileMaker Go Self Import  - Import from one table to another table - same file?

I need to update some tables on iPads to complete a syncing process. All one direction down from the server to the iPad. It can be 30,000+ records at a time so I thought it would be better to download and place them in a temp table and then import them afterwards to the target table, then delete the temp.  This works fine with the file on my pc but fails to work on the iPad. Is it not normal to do this type of self-import in FileMaker? Is there a method to identify the local table more precisely for the iPad clients?

Thanks

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go Self Import  - Import from one table to another table - same file?
          TSGal

Scott V:

Thank you for your post.

The local table needs to be referred by filename through the DocumentsPath.  For example, assuming your file is named "MAIN.fmp12", your master table is named "Master" and the data you want to import is in the table "Temp", do the following:

1. Create a script, "Import from Temp", with the following script steps:
             Set Variable [ $FilePath ; Value: "filemac:" & Get (DocumentsPath) & "MAIN.fmp12" ]
             Go to Layout [ "Master" ]
             Import Records [ No dialog ; "MAIN.fmp12" ; Add ; Mac Roman]

2. In the "Import Records" step, after selecting "MAIN.fmp12", select the table you want to import from, and match up the fields.  Click OK.

3. Change the Import Records step so that you remove "file:MAIN.fmp12", and replace it with "$FilePath" (without quotes).  The script should now read as follows:
             Set Variable [ $FilePath ; Value: "filemac:" & Get (DocumentsPath) & "MAIN.fmp12" ]
             Go to Layout [ "Master" ]
             Import Records [ No dialog ; "MAIN.fmp12" ; Add ; Mac Roman]

4. Close the file, and place MAIN.fmp12 in your Documents folder.

5. Open MAIN.fmp12 from your documents folder, add a dummy record to the Temp table, and execute the script.

6. Assuming this works correctly, close the file, and copy it to your iOS device.

7. Launch FileMaker Go, open MAIN.fmp12, and execute the script.

Let me know if you run into any difficulty or if you need clarification for any step.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.