10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 7:21 AM by TSGal

FileMaker Go Where?

PeterWhite

Title

FileMaker Go Where?

Hi,

Just bought - rather hastily - Filemaker Go which it seems only works if you have a live WiFi connection. I thought it might actually take a copy of the records so that one could go out and about with the iPhone and then come back to base and re-sync???? Isn't that the point of a mobile phone/device?!

So does anyone know how this can be done?

Oh and also i have the Demo copy of FM 11 Pro. It doesn't seem to have Web Sharing. Is this not available to try in the Demo?

Many Thanks to All for Reading!

Peter

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
          TSGal

Peter White:

Thank you for your post.

With FileMaker Go, you can connect to a FileMaker Pro database file either through Wi-Fi or 3G.  If you don't want to connect to an existing database with Wi-Fi or 3G, then you can download the file to your mobile device and take it with you.  When finished, move it back to your Mac.

I just downloaded a trial copy of FileMaker Pro 11, and I am able to turn on Instant Web Publishing.  What occurs when you try to turn on Instant Web Publishing (File -> Sharing -> Instant Web Publishing)?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
            PeterWhite

Dear TSCal,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sure I'll learn to copy Filemaker files across to my iPhone when I go through the documentation in detail. At least your answer reassures me that the Filemaker Go app is well worth keeping for my purposes if this copy/sync procedure is indeed possible.

As to Web Sharing this is what happens: I have Apache on my laptop, so Filemaker asks for a different port. I supply port number 591, as advised in the 'Missing Manual' - it's supposed to be a FMaker registered port? Then I click OK and get the beach ball for about a minute or so. Then I get an Error alert saying :"Filemaker cannot share files over the web because Web Sharing could not be started". So that seems to lead me to a dead end. After I send this I'm going to restart the MacBook and try again ....

Peter White

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
              TSGal

Peter White:

Port 591 is registered by FileMaker, Inc.  This port cannot be used by any other application.

Assuming you don't have another copy of FileMaker Pro running on the machine, go into the FileMaker Pro 11 folder -> Extensions -> Web Support

... and remove the web.prefs file.  Launch FileMaker Pro, and try to start Instant Web Publishing again.  This will create a new web.prefs file.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                PeterWhite

Dear TSGal,

There IS NO web.prefs file in */Web Support. There are only 2 files: the Web Publishing .app and 'fmiwppf'.

Full path name is: '/Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/Extensions/Web Support'

I'm using the Terminal and ls -al, so there shouldn't be any 'invisible' files.

Peter

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                  TSGal

Peter White:

Thank you for the additional information.

The web.prefs file is not a hidden file.  The file gets created when turning on Instant Web Publishing.  Confirm you have full read/write privileges to the Web Support folder.

I'll send you my web.prefs file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for further instructions.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                    TSGal

Peter White:

Your email was forwarded to me.

It looks like the web.prefs were installed with different privileges.  Did you install FileMaker using this same user account?  Please read Knowledge Base Article #7424 to see if this applies:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7424

What version of Mac OS X are you using?  I have tried it on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Mac OS X 10.6.4.

What other applications are running?

Any other information you can tell me about your system may be helpful.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                      PeterWhite
                      Dear TSGal, Since I sent you that file listing for the 'Web Support' directory I finally managed to recover my superuser password (the usual routine of going into SU mode and changing the password somehow did not update the password file?!). As a result I was first able to change owner and permissions of the web.prefs file. It still didn't work (and anyway it is clear that Filemaker11 can read the web.prefs file because when it's there Filemaker does not ask me the change the port number from port 80!). I then deleted the entire installation and reinstalled, and then tried again and got exactly the same alert box error message. (Is there a process that Filemaker is unable to initiate?). This is my system configuration: OSX: 10.6.4 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB SDRAM 4.27 GB spare on main drive My general usage is: Mail Chrome iTunes MS Office 98 terminals Filemaker Apache not all at once and I try to keep processes to a minimum although Chrome does hog resources. My use for Filemaker 11 is a complementary health bookings, contacts and treatment database to get our system off paper etc. Hope this helps. What next? Best wishes Peter White
                      • 8. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                        TSGal

Peter White:

I found a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X 10.6.4, 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2GB SDRAM, so this is about as close as I can get to your setup.

I installed FileMaker Pro 11 and I was able to turn on Instant Web Publishing.  I went into System Preferences -> Sharing and Web Sharing is turned off.  No other applications are running.  This was done immediately after start-up.

I just want to confirm that no other FileMaker Product (Server or Pro) is installed on the same machine.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                          PeterWhite

Dear TSGal,

I've just restarted OSX and started Filemaker 11 as the first application. I've already turned Web Sharing off in System Prefs. There is no other Filemaker application of any sort running. I've completely deleted Filemaker 7 from the system just in case.

I get the same error as before: "...because Instant Web Publishing could not be started".

The permissions listing in Web Support is as follows:

drwxrwxr-x   5 root  admin    170 21 Oct 14:51 .

drwxrwxr-x  11 root  admin    374 21 Oct 14:44 ..

drwxrwxr-x   3 root  admin    102 21 Oct 14:44 FM Web Publishing.app-

rwsr-xr-x   1 root  admin  66172 11 Jun 01:22 fmiwppf-

rw-rw-rw-@  1 root  admin    656 21 Oct 14:50 web.prefs

The process list is as follows:

PID TTY           TIME CMD    

1 ??         0:00.62 /sbin/launchd  

10 ??         0:01.35 /usr/libexec/kextd  

11 ??         0:01.14 /usr/sbin/DirectoryService  

12 ??         0:00.13 /usr/sbin/notifyd  

13 ??         0:00.20 /usr/sbin/diskarbitrationd  

14 ??         0:00.21 /usr/sbin/syslogd  

15 ??         0:01.96 /usr/libexec/configd  

16 ??         0:00.17 /usr/sbin/distnoted  

17 ??         0:01.29 /usr/sbin/mDNSResponder -launchd  

23 ??         0:00.24 /usr/sbin/securityd -i  

24 ??         0:00.46 /usr/sbin/blued  

26 ??         0:00.06 /usr/sbin/racoon  

29 ??         0:00.99 /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd  

31 ??         0:00.14 /usr/sbin/cupsd -l  

32 ??         0:00.30 /usr/sbin/krb5kdc -n  

34 ??         0:00.06 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/A/Resources/usbmuxd -launchd  

35 ??         0:00.01 /sbin/SystemStarter  

40 ??         0:20.38 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Support/mds  

41 ??         0:00.43 /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow console  

42 ??         0:00.01 /usr/sbin/KernelEventAgent  

44 ??         0:00.01 /usr/libexec/hidd  

45 ??         0:02.87 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CarbonCore.framework/Versions/A/Support/fseventsd   47 ??         0:00.11 /sbin/dynamic_pager -F /private/var/vm/swapfile  

53 ??         0:00.02 autofsd  

64 ??         0:03.94 /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw  

66 ??         0:00.09 /usr/sbin/nmbd -F  

90 ??         0:00.32 /Library/Printers/hp/hpio/HPIO Trap Monitor.app/Contents/MacOS/HPIO Trap Monitor  

108 ??         0:00.19 /Library/StartupItems/ParallelsTransporter/llipd  

109 ??         0:00.09 /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/pvsnatd  

112 ??         0:00.01 /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-natd -c /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet8/nat.conf -m /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet8/nat.mac vmnet  

118 ??         0:00.00 /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-dhcpd -cf /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet8/dhcpd.conf -lf /var/db/vmware/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet8.leases -pf /var/run/vmne  

120 ??         0:00.00 /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-netifup -d /var/run/vmnet-netif-vmnet8.pid vmnet8 vmnet8  

123 ??         0:00.00 /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-netifup -d /var/run/vmnet-netif-vmnet1.pid vmnet1 vmnet1  

126 ??         0:00.00 /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-dhcpd -cf /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet1/dhcpd.conf -lf /var/db/vmware/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet1.leases -pf /var/run/vmne  

129 ??         0:00.01 /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/vmnet-bridge vmnet0   

133 ??         0:15.60 /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Resources/WindowServer -daemon  

134 ??         0:00.14 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/cvmsServ  

144 ??         0:00.10 /usr/sbin/coreaudiod  

147 ??         0:00.46 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyControls.framework/Resources/parentalcontrolsd  

153 ??         0:00.20 /sbin/launchd  

158 ??         0:01.64 /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/MacOS/Dock  

159 ??         0:01.22 /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer  

160 ??         0:01.27 /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder 

165 ??         0:00.01 /usr/sbin/pboard  

168 ??         0:00.65 /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Support/fontd  

176 ??         0:01.04 /System/Library/CoreServices/FileSyncAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/FileSyncAgent -launchedByLaunchd  

178 ??         0:30.70 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebContentAnalysis.framework/Resources/webfilterproxyd  

182 ??         0:00.25 /usr/libexec/UserEventAgent -l Aqua  

188 ??         0:00.08 /System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/AirPort Base Station Agent -launchd -allowquit  

193 ??         0:00.71 /Library/Application Support/Hewlett-Packard/Customer Participation/HP Product Research.app/Contents/MacOS/HP Product Research -psn_0_40970  

194 ??         0:00.21 /Library/Printers/hp/hpio/HPEventHandler.app/Contents/MacOS/HPEventHandler -psn_0_45067  

197 ??         0:00.03 /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper -psn_0_53261  

199 ??         0:00.28 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework/Resources/diskimages-helper -uuid 1EFE4C5D-8ABF-47D7-A657-4C4F63A86CA4 -post-exec 4  

200 ??         0:00.87 /Applications/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft AU Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft AU Daemon -psn_0_57358 

207 ??         0:00.08 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskImages.framework/Resources/hdiejectd  

265 ??         0:00.14 /usr/sbin/aosnotifyd  

267 ??         0:06.11 /Applications/FileMaker Pro 11/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro -psn_0_69649  

271 ??         0:00.22 /System/Library/Image Capture/Support/Image Capture Extension.app/Contents/MacOS/Image Capture Extension -psn_0_73746  

273 ??         0:01.48 /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/Metadata.framework/Versions/A/Support/mdworker MDSImporterWorker com.apple.Spotlight.ImporterWorker.501  

284 ??         0:01.97 /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app/Contents/MacOS/Terminal -psn_0_86037  

293 ??         0:10.53 /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/MacOS/Mail -psn_0_90134  

295 ??         1:35.27 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome -psn_0_94231  

300 ??         0:01.34 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=ConnCountImpa  

302 ??         0:00.61 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=extension --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=ConnCountImp  

303 ??         0:00.60 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=extension --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=ConnCountImp  

305 ??         0:00.92 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

306 ??         0:00.80 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

307 ??         0:05.98 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

308 ??         0:00.54 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

309 ??         0:04.54 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

310 ??         0:19.82 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

311 ??         0:35.34 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac 

312 ??         0:01.95 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

313 ??         1:40.28 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

314 ??         0:00.42 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

315 ??         0:01.10 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

316 ??         0:10.87 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=renderer --lang=en-US --force-fieldtest=CacheSize/Cac  

317 ??         1:38.82 /Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/7.0.517.41/Google Chrome Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Google Chrome Helper --type=plugin --plugin-path=/Applications/Google Chrome.app/ 

322 ??         0:00.27 /System/Library/Services/AppleSpell.service/Contents/MacOS/AppleSpell -psn_0_163880  

325 ??         0:00.15 /usr/sbin/smbd -F  

326 ??         0:00.00 /usr/sbin/smbd -F  

328 ??         0:01.07 /Applications/System Preferences.app/Contents/MacOS/System Preferences -psn_0_167977  

330 ??         0:00.07 /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Libraries/cvmsComp_x86_64 1  286 ttys000    0:00.06 login -pf petercindynaomi  287 ttys000    0:00.03 -bash  

353 ttys000    0:00.00 ps -ax

Best Wishes

Peter White

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go Where?
                            TSGal

Peter White:

I can't tell if you used my web.prefs file or deleted it and a new one was created.  If the former, delete it and try again.

Open any database file, go into File -> Manage -> Security..., click on the Extended Privileges tab and make sure fmiwp is enabled.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.  You may want to contact our Technical Support department directly as they can test out a number of scenarios while you are on the phone.  If you are in North America, contact us at toll-free 800-325-2747.  If outside of North America, go to our web site (www.filemaker.com), click on Worldwide Sites in the upper-right corner, and select the Country, or if not listed, click Other.  Then, click the Contact link for the office nearest you.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.