6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2011 9:04 AM by TSGal

Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script

HadiHassaoui

Title

Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script

I Have a database hosted on FM server 11, build with Filemaker Pro adavanced 11. I made a script to send e-mail with a specific text message and subject. Those Message and subject are field in a related table. In the send e-mail step of the script, the subject and message are calculation that refer to those field. Here an example with the Maintable and the Emailtable:

In Maintable, send e-mail using specific SMTP, the e-mail adress came from field :  Maintable::eMail, the subject came  from calculation : "blablabla "& Maintable::xxxfield & Emailtable::Subject,  the Message came from caclulation : "blablabla "& Maintable::xxxfield & Emailtable::message

The script work perfectly on my mac with Filemaker Pro 11 (in fact on 2 different mac), the message is sent with all the information.

But on the iPad, all the Emailtable field are not in the e-mail. Other than that the script act exactly as on Filemaker Pro.

Any Clue???????

• 1. Re: Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script
          TSGal

Hadi Hassaoui:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  First, I don't have access to a SMTP server from my iPad, as our mail server does not accept outside connections.  When I try, i get "The connection was refused by the SMTP Server".  If I change this from SMTP Server to E-mail client, the related fields are being included.  Can you verify?  If so, I'll try to get access to a mail server that accepts outside connections.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script
            HadiHassaoui

Hi TSgal,

Thanks for your answer.

I tried using the e-mail client, and got the same problem.

I made a new script, this time with only the send e-mail step in it, here's the setting.

First the Database scructure :

Main Table = Custumer information (Name, Primary eMail, Secondary eMail, Contract Number)

eMail Table = eMail composition  (Subject, Message and signature)

Tables as a relationship based on a Field that define the kind of message to send (the relationship work properly).

So here's the info in the Send email script

Using eMail Client or SMTP.

Sending only eMail for this record

To : Main Table::Primary email

CC : Main Table::secondary email

cci : Empty

Subject : eMail Table::Subjetc & " | #" & Main Table:Contract Number

"Dear Mister " & MainTable::Name & "¶" & 

eMail Table::Message & "¶" & eMail Table::Signature

No attachment

The message is sent via a layout part of the Main Table. 

I tried with the cc empty as well.

Like i Said, the script work properly on the Mac, but on the iPad, all information coming from the eMail Table don't appear.

Is it possible that this Problem has some similar issue as the Answer ID # 7782 in the Knowledge Base of FM GO 

"Emailing a FileMaker Go 1.1 generated PDF leads to missing data"

• 3. Re: Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script
              HadiHassaoui

Hi TSgal,

I tried to replicate the problem on a fresh new database with only the steps in the previous post, and it work properly.

So here's some specific thing in the database that has the problem.

First of all some data are copied from an MySQL database linked true ODBC driver from ActualTech to this database as a read only access. Filemaker created 4 new tables from MySQL database and the relationship work properly. My script does not include any field of those related database.

The database as several Print and screen Layout based on the platform used. Most of them are to create PDF.

The eMail Table as 8 records and each record contain a serie of message used on specific Layout all in 2 languages. 

As I told you before, all the steps calling any of the eMail Table Field on the Mac work as expected, but on the iPad, none work when used in a send e-mail script.

In the other Hand, when I export to pdf that call field from the eMail Table on the ipad everything work.

• 4. Re: Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script
                TSGal

Hadi Hassaoui:

Thank you for the additional information.

Since it works with a new file but not the existing file, there is probably something internal to the file that FileMaker Go does not like.  Run a Recover on the file, and try again.  If the recovered file fails, then I'll want to see the file.  Remove all of the imported MySQL data since it is not part of the MainTable or eMail Table, and then send me the stripped down file so I can determine why the Send Mail is not using the related data.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script
                  HadiHassaoui

Hi TSGal,

I solved the problem. I found that weird but i manage to get the proper result.

The Field in the Main Table on what the relationship is based was a Global Field with an Auto Enter made by the script. I Changed to a regular calculation Field (mean not Global) and everything worked as it should. 

I still don't understand why that worked on the mac but not on the iPad.

Thanks for your Help

• 6. Re: Filemaker Go won't show related field when called from script
                    TSGal

Hadi Hassaoui:

I don't know why it works on a Mac but not on the iPad.  So that I don't reinvent the wheel, can you provide me a clone of the file (without the MySQL tables).  I'd like to do some testing here so I can make sure the inconsistency with global field relationships gets reported properly.  Use the information from the private message I sent earlier.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.