1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2015 8:41 AM by schamblee

FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus

doctorvandermast

Title

FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus

Any speculation of an upgrade to FileMaker to go along with these new devices?

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
          eoin

I suspect it Go will already work on these devices .... however the new screen sizes will require some modification of layout sizes to take advantage of that increased screen size.

I would think FMGo will be updated in the future to take advantage of any extra functionality these devices provide, but in true Apple/Filemaker form, these updates are never discussed or hinted at prior to release.

It's best to adopt a wait and see approach to this question. smiley

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
            philmodjunk

Regardless of whether using FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go, designing flexible layouts that adjust to different screen sizes is a desirable goal to pursue. For example, you can place a small object in the bottom right corner of your layout and specify right and bottom resize anchors for it. This will "stretch", your layout parts out to fit any window size. This doesn't make use of the added space, just keeps a "band" of differently colored screen from appearing when the window is larger than the layout borders.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
              doctorvandermast

I just got an iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. I found that FileMaker Go automatically scales up layouts that were customized for the iPhone 5s screen perfectly.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                eoin

That is both good and bad news :) but I suspect it will change when (or if) an iPhone 6 & 6+ compatible version is released.

I am hoping that is the case as I want to take advantage of all that extra screen real-estate and only have a need for one portable device. 

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                  doctorvandermast

Yes, I would like to display different custom layouts. Especially for the iPhone 6 Plus.  FileMaker 13 will need an upgrade that adds an option to recognize the two new iPhones to the Get (Device) function. And maybe a way to turn off the automatic scaling.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                    RahulSharaf

Is there a way to turn on the automatic scaling feature in Filemaker Go 13.0.8 on the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 plus?

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                      vtdonn

I want to give this thread a bump- I was thinking someone would respond to Rahul- we have the same question. How do you turn on auto-scaling?

What we observed was that right after the 6/6L came out, our layouts for the 5/5S automatically scaled up to fill the full screen. Then there may have been an FM Go update (still trying to confirm versions), and now the layout doesn't scale up automatically, so for 6/6L users there is a bunch of blank space along the bottom and right-hand edge. Auto-scaling would've been a perfectly adequate solution until FM releases an update that allows you to specify 5 versus 6, but its been 4 months now and we're starting to get impatient.

Anyone have insight here?

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                        eoin

My understanding was the 6 & 6+ had different screen sizes and layouts needed to be adjusted to take advantage of the increased screen real estate.

However one could design for the iPhone 6 and this would display perfectly on an iPhone6+ if the 6+ was set to zoomed rather than standard.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                          vtdonn

Right, but as of now the GetDevice function can only recognize an iPad versus and iPhone- you can't indicate which size iPhone.

Yes, we can build layouts for the different screen sizes, but the auto-scaling feature would save us the time from building these layouts (our layouts are pretty complex), assuming the auto-scaling feature works as I'm imagining- but I still haven't been able to get any info on what it is and how to incorporate it.

One workaround would be to allow users to manually check a box that specifies the hardware they are using, and then it would bring them to the appropriate layouts upon navigation. That'd work, it just wouldn't be as elegant as auto-scaling and/or iPhone size recognition.

What do you mean by zoomed versus standard?

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                            doctorvandermast

I built complex FM layouts for the iPhone 5s. When I got a iPhone 6 and an iPhone 6 Plus to test with, the layouts scaled perfectly. I didn't have to set or change anything. Everything is just bigger on the larger phones and easier  to use with the touch interface.

For my customers, I think it's more important to keep the layout the same on 5s, the 6, and the 6 plus. Having the software work and look the same makes a better interface. Layout changes I save for the iPad.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                              vtdonn

I agree that it would be best to keep the layout the same, and that is what we'd prefer to do. The problem is, the layouts are no longer scaling perfectly. They did early on, but then when a client upgraded to a newer version of FM Go, they stopped scaling. I'm still trying to figure out what the previous version was. Do you know which version of FM Go with which you are getting the desired behavior?

One problem is that I don't have a 6/6L yet, so I haven't been able to witness or test this myself.

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                                eoin

You are correct regarding the Get(Device) function, but that can be coupled with other functions to correctly identify the type of iPhone being used ....

Case (
                                  Get ( Device ) = 4 and Get ( ScreenWidth ) = 414 ;
                                    "iPhone 6 Plus" ;
                                  Get ( Device ) = 4 and Get ( ScreenWidth ) = 375 ;
                                    "iPhone 6" ;
                                  Get ( Device ) = 4 ;
                                    "iPhone 5"
                                )

Or perhaps with other combination of other dimensions if being used landscape, but O think there is also a function for get orientation also.

Also the iPhone 6+ has this Zoomed function within the iOS to essentially mimic an iPhone 6 display but display it enlarged on the larger 6+ display. 

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                                  eoin

The previous version of Go, before they added support for the 6 & 6+ just scaled a 5 layout to the 6 screen size, I don't think it scaled it to the 6+ screen size correctly until you enabled the zoom function on the 6+ (which in effect was a 6 display just larger). I'm going from memory here, I delayed development of iPhone layouts until go fully supported the 6 & 6+ screen sizes. I just remember looking at it at the time and thinking no, I'll wait until I can take advantage of the full screen sizes.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus
                                    vtdonn

Thanks! That is exactly the answer I was hoping for. I didn't know about the Get(screenwidth) function, nor did I know about the zoom function on the larger iPhones. I bet that is what happened for these two clients. This might be the excuse I've been waiting for to get a 6... Thanks again.

1 2 Previous Next