12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2014 5:20 PM by RickWhitelaw

Find in FM Go

RickWhitelaw

Title

Find in FM Go

I can't seem to figure this out. I use FM Go to connect to the server in my office when away. If I want to find records I enter Find Mode then select what I want usually from a drop down menu. Then nothing. "Perform Find" is greyed out.there seems to be no way to actually perform a find. This is on an iPad 1 running FM Go 12. Server is working fine.

• 1. Re: Find in FM Go
          RickWhitelaw

To be more specific, I enter find mode, type in find  criteria, press Go and nothing happens. No Find is performed.

• 2. Re: Find in FM Go
            RickWhitelaw

Although I appear to be having a conversation with myself I'll continue. The Find problem happens on one particular file. This one file is not corrupted and works fine on FMP and is hosted on my server. All layouts in this file refuse to cooperate in the Find department when using fmgo 12. Layouts on other files in the same solution appear to be behaving properly.

• 3. Re: Find in FM Go
              Markus Schneider

does this file have some restrictions for the user, ie not all menue items?

• 4. Re: Find in FM Go
                RickWhitelaw

No restrictions. Find works on this file in all other circumstances. Just not on FM Go.

• 5. Re: Find in FM Go
                  RickWhitelaw

Found a workaround. Since the Go button was having no effect I added a perform find item to my custom menu and allowed it to be active in find mode. Now on FM Go I enter fond mode, type a request, and click perform find which was previously greyed out. Works.

• 6. Re: Find in FM Go
                    Markus Schneider

But in a brand new file (just for testing purpose), find is working as expected? I'm using 'find' all day long - and as far as I remeber there were only issues with restricted menu-access and maybe custom menues (not sure, I don't have custom menues on iOS app's)

• 7. Re: Find in FM Go
                      TSGal

Rick Whitelaw:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue on an iPhone running FileMaker Go 12.0.8 under iOS 7.1.1 when accessing a file hosted by FileMaker Pro on a Mac OS X 10.9.3 machine.  Since this is not occurring for you, have you taken "markus schneider" suggester of trying to find records using a new file?  Does the find work correctly if you move the hosted file to the iOS device?  Does the Find work with another file that exists on your device?

Does the find fail with other layouts in the same hosted file?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down possible causes.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Find in FM Go
                        RickWhitelaw

TS Gal,

The only files I have on my device are the ones that come with the app. Find works normally. Before applying my workaround the issue was file-wide. All layouts of a given file. The files check out as clean in FMPA. The issue may have something to to do with the fact that I'm using iOS 5.1 on an iPad 1. I've noticed as well that certain merge fields don't update on one file but do on another. The definitions are identical in each file. It's likely time to buy a new iPad.

• 9. Re: Find in FM Go
                          TSGal

Rick Whitelaw:

I have FileMaker Go 12 on an iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1.  I can connect to a server running FileMaker Server 12, and I'm able to perform a Find.  I know that doesn't help you, but you should be able to do this.

Although a file may "check out as clean" in FileMaker Pro Advanced 12, there may still be some damage.  This may be evident by the merge fields appearing on one file but not another, even though the field definitions are identical.  If the files are similar, I would clone the "good" file, open the clone, and import the records from the "damaged" file.  See if this helps.

TSGal
                               FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Find in FM Go
                            philmodjunk

And a quick way to "clear out buggy stuff" in FM GO is to quit and restart either the iOS device or (quicker) just the FM GO app.

To restart FM GO:

Doublel click the Home Button

Find the thumbnail for FM GO and "Flick" it up to close the app.

Then click the home button once and tap the FM GO icon to relaunch the application.

If you then open the database and find now behaves normally, we would appear to have identified yet another case where restarting FM GO clears up an issue. (And yes, we should not have to do this to get FM GO DB's to work correctly...)

• 11. Re: Find in FM Go
                              RickWhitelaw

TS Gal,

I'm running FMPA13. There is no evidence that any of the files is damaged. The one file that doesn't update a merge field correctly has, as all the files do, a merge field that does  "Record x of x" which can be seen anytime by having the toolbar activated in FM Go anyway. The field updates properly using FMP. The truly odd aspect of this is that the workaround of adding a "Perform Find" menu item In FMPA fixes the Find issue.

• 12. Re: Find in FM Go
                                RickWhitelaw

TS Gal,

As it turns out, neither of the issues I mentioned crop up when using FM Go 13 on my phone. I've come to the conclusion that the files are fine as now there's no evidence to the contrary. The issues appear to be caused by using FM Go 12 on an old iPad.