7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 1:53 AM by AliSinclair

Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.

AliSinclair

Title

Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.

Hi with Filemaker Pro on the desktop with a dropdown list you can start typing and it will select the matching text in the list.

Is this possible in the iPad Go version?I can't seem to get it working, if not is there a similar way I can do this?

I need the user to be able to start typing in a Product Invoice page and it then bring up the matching record. I need this as I have 3000 products and it will be too much for a user to scroll down a dropdown or pop-up list.

Thanks,

Alistair

• 1. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
          philmodjunk

I don't have GO, but do know that "auto-complete" does not work with just any value list. In particular, value lists set up on a field of type number--as is often the case when selecting products in an invoice system--do not work with auto-complete. There are a number of strategies you can use to work around this limitation.

Obviously, if you can get auto-complete to work for you with this specific field and value list in FileMaker Pro but not in Go, then this is a different issue. If so, please ignore this post.

• 2. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
            TSGal

Ali Sinclair:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, Text fields with option "auto-complete" will not work with FileMaker Go.  Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue, and I have attached your post to the original issue.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
              AliSinclair

Hi thanks for the replies,

Is there any work around/other options I can use for GO that will have a similar result? I need to be able to narrow down the product list quickly to choose a product to add to an invoice.

• 4. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
                philmodjunk

See if you can set up a filtered portal where the filter uses a a text field you place just above the portal in a pattern matching expression to filter the portal down to fewer and fewer choices. A button in the portal row can be clicked to select a value from the portal.

Key trick is to use an onModify Script trigger to do a refresh window [flush cached join results] to update the list in the portal with each change to the text field.

• 5. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
                  AliSinclair

Thanks for your suggestion,

I am using the 'Invoice'  starter solution as the basic template for my program. I created a new layout where the user can search and it will show the matching product records in a list view.

What I would like to do is add a button to each product record in the list so that they can add that product to the current products portal on the Invoice. I am new to FM so not sure about what I would set up a script to do this, any tips would be great thanks.

• 6. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
                    philmodjunk

Set variable [$ProductID ; YourTable::ProductID]
                    Go To Layout [//specify invoice layout with portal]
                    Go To Portal Row [no dialog; last]
                    Set Field [LineItems::ProductID ;$ProductID]

I'm not taking the time to open up the starter solution, so you'll need to substitute the actual table occurrence and field names from your file into this script. It also may not work correctly if you have more than one portal on the layout. If you have more than one portal, give the lineItems portal an object name and precede the Go To Portal Row step with Go To Object to put the focus in the correct portal before trying to go to the bottom "add" row of the portal.

• 7. Re: Find matching product in Dropdown as you type.
                      AliSinclair

Thanks for all your help, that's working perfectly now.