4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2014 4:05 PM by peterchech

Find operators not an option for number fields

peterchech

Title

Find operators not an option for number fields

Two weird things are happening when I do a find in fm go, on a database I just created. These do not happen on previous databases though and i cant tell why.

When I search a number field, instead of the full keyboard I only get a numerical keyboard. There are no search operators, just numbers, a decimal point and a plus/minus key. So I can't search, for example, ">4".

Also in this same database, I can't find a number that is in a text field. For example, one text field has the values 2, 4a and 15f. When I search for "2", or "*2*"no records are found, even though there are at least 200 such records.

These finds all work as normal on the computer, it's just on the iPad they don't work for this particular database... What am I doing wrong here?

ipad air 2, fm go 13.

• 1. Re: Find operators not an option for number fields
          philmodjunk

For the first part, the latest versions of FileMaker allow you to use the inspector to specify which keyboard opens when you edit a given field in FileMaker GO. The number pad is probably the default option for fields of type number. But you can specify a different keyboard for that field that includes the find operator symbols.

In the second issue, did you enclose your search criteria in quotes as shown in your post? I would not use quotes for that type of search and see if that makes a difference in the results found.

• 2. Re: Find operators not an option for number fields
            peterchech

First part - thanks Phil didn't know that!

Second part - yes I tried searching every way...

• 3. Re: Find operators not an option for number fields
              philmodjunk

I can't reproduce the problem--at least not when searching a text field.

I can enter find mode, type in a 5

and find multiple records where there is a word starting with 5. I can include "8a" in one field and a find specifying 8 will find it.

• 4. Re: Find operators not an option for number fields
                peterchech

Yup, full touch keyboard option in the inspector window fixed my first problem.

As for problem 2 (find not seeming to work in a certain text field), I changed the problematic text field from default keyboard to the full keyboard (which may just be the default anyway), then re-loaded the database onto the ipad, restarted FM Go, and now the search works perfectly. Whether the re-load, re-start and/or changing the field's touch keyboard is what made it work, i don't know... tho re-starting certainly fixed my other FM Go problem...

Anyway, thanks Phil you are the man!