6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2010 1:57 PM by smower

FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets

smower

Title

FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets

Hi,

Is there a way to get bookmarklets to work in the webviewer on FM Go? For example in FM Pro if I do a 'Set Web Viewer' Script Step 'Go to URL' as

javascript:alert('hello')

a popup box correctly pops up and says 'hello' but when I run that same script in FM Go nothing appears to happen. It just gives a message in the status area saying 'The URL can't be shown'. Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Shawn

<!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->

• 1. Re: FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets
          TSGal

smower:

Thank you for your post.

First, I cannot get the javascript:alert('hello') to display in FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 Web Viewer.  All I get at the bottom of the Web Viewer is "Loading: "javascript:alert('hello')".  Are there any other commands necessary to have "hello" display?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets
            smower

Thanks for looking into this TSGal,

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 11.0v Web Viewer on Windows 7 Ultimate.

I named the Web Viewer: WV

I then run a script:

Set Web Viewer [Obejct Name: "WV"; URL: "javascript:alert('hello')"]

All that should happen is a javascript message box should pop up and say hello and nothing should display in the web viewer and the status would just show Loading: "javascript:alert('hello')"

This is just a basic example for testing, but the real power of book marklets is that you can use them to auto fill forms with cooler bookmarklets.  Bookmarklets are working great for me on my Windows machine, but I can't figure out how to get them to work in FM Go on my Iphone or Ipad where they could save me even more time.

• 3. Re: FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets
              TSGal

smower:

Thank you for the additional information.  I was able to reproduce this on a Windows XP SP3 machine.  This does not work with FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 on either Mac OS X 10.5.8 or Mac OS X 10.6.4.  iOS 4 also does not appear to support this.

I forwarded your information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments and they are already aware of this inconsistency between Windows and Mac.  In essence, this was rejected because "javascript:xxxx" is not a URL but a browser extension, and one we do not support.  Although the web kit on Windows works, the web kit on the Mac and iOS does not work.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets
                smower

Thank you for looking into this.

That is odd that it is not working on Safari.  Bookmarklets work just fine on my IPad Safari browser and my iPhone Safari browser.  Thank you for making it work on the windows browser, and please encourage them to continue supporting the windows browser and adding support to the web viewers on the IPhone and IPad as bookmarklets are incredibly powerful and add incredible functionality and productivity options to those devices.

Thanks,

Shawn

• 5. Re: FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets
                  TSGal

smower:

Just to be clear here, we did not make it work on Windows.  Microsoft provided a web kit for a web interface where bookmarklets appear to be supported.  Apple has also provide a web kit for web interface and bookmarklets appear to not be supported.  Additionally, since the Windows web kit is made by Microsoft, the interface will closely resemble Microsoft Internet Explorer.  For Mac OS, the interface will closely resemble Safari.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM FileMaker Go Web Viewer Bookmarklets
                    smower

Thank you for looking into it.