8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 8:53 PM by Steve Wright

FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO

Steve Wright

Title

FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO

I am trying to understand why a plugin will work via instant web-publishing but cannot be used in the same manner in FileMaker Go..  i.e Server Side

For instance, some of Troi's plugins work well via IWP.  Troi URL being one I use myself.
      http://www.troi.com/support/filemaker-server-side-plug-ins.html

Surely, the same could apply to FM Go ?

• 1. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
          TSGal

SWS:

Thank you for your post.

I don't see why a server-side plug-in would not work, especially since this works with Instant Web Publishing.  I don't have any of the Troi plug-ins, nor do I have any server-side plug-ins to test with FileMaker Go.  What occurs when you try this?

I have sent a message to our Testers for an explanation.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
            Steve Wright

I have not actually tried using FileMaker Server (yet) but will do that at some point today / tomorrow.
            At the moment, I have been experimenting via FileMaker Pro peer to peer sharing.

However, plugins installed under FileMaker Pro for use within IWP do work without requiring FM Server. 

• 3. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
              harlowtech

I think you have a miss-understanding of how IWP works vs FM Go. IWP is actually running as a database client on the server (or via FM Pro on the computer) where FM Go runs on the iPad or iPhone just like another copy of FileMaker. FM Go is just not showing you screens that are running on the server but is a almost full version of FileMaker running on the iPad connecting to the server. It would be like asking why don't plugins installed on one computer with FM Pro work on a second computer connecting to the first with FM Pro installed but the plugins are not installed.

Daniel 

• 4. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
                Steve Wright

Hi Daniel,

I do understand the difference between IWP and Go.  Im just thinking there could have been a way.

What I was trying to understand is that if FMI knew there would be a limitation in the use of plugins due to Apples T&C's etc then surely there could have been some method of making them work in a similar way to how IWP.

After all, FM Go may resemble FM Pro in a very close way, but its still not FM Pro.
                FM Pro could recognise the fact that a Go client is connected and process plugin calls locally to the hosted files.

Of course, that may require changes in FM Pro too ( I think) but such changes would not have to be apparent, they could have made changes in 11 v2 for example without anybody realising, thus not exposing an upcoming product, in prep for Go's release.

• 5. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
                  harlowtech

What plugin would you even want to use?

Daniel

• 6. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
                    Steve Wright

What plugin would you even want to use?

I was attempting to make use of Troi URL's post functions which I use to retrieve some data from our servers, however since I am interacting with my own server, I have added a secondary php script which accepts $_GET instead of $_POST and am now using a 1px web viewer with looping scripts and having to work around the way safari converts numbers. 

i.e

<data>10</data>
                    <data2>20</data2>
                    <data3>12.34.56</data3>

becomes

<data><a href="tel:10 20 12.34.56" x-apple-data-detectors="true">10</a><data>
                    <data2><a href="tel:10 20 12.34.56" x-apple-data-detectors="true">20</a><data2>
                    <data3><a href="tel:10 20 12.34.56" x-apple-data-detectors="true">12.34.56</a><data3>

That's with <meta name = "format-detection" content = "telephone=no"> in the <head> tags but perhaps I have  the wrong doctype set ?  Either way, I have worked around the only reason I wanted to use a plugin so far.

• 7. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
                      harlowtech

No those are the apple data detectors which are causing the problem, (not just formatting) so you will need to parse that information out in you script as far as I know there is no way to turn them off at this point in time.

Daniel

• 8. Re: FM Go - Plugins.  Why can IWP but not GO
                        Steve Wright

Yeah, parsing it out is not an issue just a little extra leg work.