4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2013 8:14 AM by TSGal

FM Go 12 SLOW

bfalasiri

Title

FM Go 12 SLOW

I am using files haring from a FM 12 file on my iMac to enable data collection in my showroom from my iPad. this involves a few field entries, plus 2-3 pictures taken via the media fields. the ipad is the perfect device if only the file didn't bog down after about 10 records, after which it becomes unbearable.  the pictures are uploading to the server, the pictures are stored in a separate file. this is going to take years to complete the project unless i figure out why it is so slow. any thoughts?

Florida_Sky_21_12_27.jpg

• 1. Re: FM Go 12 SLOW
          TSGal

Barbara Falasiri:

Thank you for your post.

How large are the pictures you are taking?  Once you commit the record, the information should be updated at the hosted file.  If you take pictures at a lower resolution, do you notice any difference in performance?

I was working with another user who would take pictures locally, and when finished, it would run a script on the hosted computer to import the data from the local table.  Is that possibly an option?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go 12 SLOW
            bigtom

I am assuming the images may be about 2MB if you have a newer iPad. I have not run into this issue yet but I am using one image per record. If you are sending 6MB per record it should not take that long unless your wifi connection is weak. How many seconds does it take? This was a consideration of mine before moving to FM12 and I put it through a bit of abuse on the trial.

It would be nice to see FMGo be able to access the image reducing feature of the photos app on the ios devices. We do not always need 2MB images.

• 3. Re: FM Go 12 SLOW
              bfalasiri

All the photos are in the neighborhood of 2 MB, which is something I have no control over when acquiring media through Filemaker Go, and which is the sole reason I have opted to use an iPad -- one stop shopping -- take the picture, enter the data,, done.

I have a 5GB wireless router, and a good signal throughout my building. the hosting computer was being lightly used, or not used at all. The upload of the records gets into minutes, if not pure failure, and worked swimmingly for the first few times, and during testing, which again, was only a few records.

A technician has offered to host the file remotely, so I will see if this helps, but I cannot see why it would.

The file does not reside on the ipad. I am not sure how this would work, but would it save refresh time, etc, if the file resided on the device, but the data went to the host? I have no idea how to do this, btw.

Also does anyone know whether the pictures reside anywhere on the iPad. I think not as they do not show up in "photos" or "photo stream". The technician I spoke to thinks they do.

• 4. Re: FM Go 12 SLOW
                TSGal

Barbara Falasiri:

The pictures taken in a FileMaker Go Container field will be embedded in the database file.  The pictures will NOT show up in Photos.

If the pictures are being stored in a hosted file, it may take some time to download each image.  If you are in Form view, then only one picture will be downloaded when skipping between records.  However, if you are in List view, then it will download all pictures that need to be displayed, and this will initially take longer.

One customer had a similar issue, and ended up modifying each picture to display a smaller size with 72 dpi.  Each image was then 200-400 K.  Maybe not an ideal workaround for you, but I though it should be mentioned.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.