I've seen this problem in both FileMaker Go 12 and 13 and in more than one file. It appears to be a bug, but not one for which I've been able to get "offical confirmation" so that I can document it in the Known Bugs List.
At first, I would solve the issue by rebooting the phone, but then posts by another user revealed a simpler solution:
Double Click the Home button to get the list of all open apps.
Find the FileMaker Go app and flick it up to close the App.
Then re-open your FM GO file.
In my situation, this resolves the issue until it recurs. I haven't yet identified any pattern to when this will recur but at least I've found a fairly simple fix.
(But I'd hate to tell a paying customer to do this for a solution that I've sold to them...)
Thank you for your post.
Is this a stand-alone solution? Or, is it being accessed remotely? If remotely, see if anyone else is modifying the record.
If a stand-alone solution, what other applications are running at the time this message occurs? When was the iOS device last rebooted? How long was FileMaker Go running before the message was encountered? Are you always accessing the same layout (or record) when the error occurs?
Any other information you can provide may be useful in narrowing down the possible cause.
PhilModJunk: Wow, that's strange. The 2nd remedy did work, thanks! I didn't attempt to reboot. I just worry about when one of my customers uses this in the field and runs into the problem. What's also strange though is that I attempted this on numerous iterations of the same file app. I'd attempt to rearrange my scripts (originally thinking I was committing the data improperly) and then add the patched version while removing the known bugged version. I did this multiple times and the error kept manifesting itself.
TSGal: It's a stand alone solution for iPhone. I wasn't running any other apps during the error and this was the first run through of FileMaker Go 13, so it hadn't been running long at all. I received the error on multiple layouts and once it would manifest itself, the other layouts would exhibit the same error. The solution would be dead in the water at that point. The iOS device I'm using is rarely rebooted, but especially considering PhilModJunk's work around was effective, I can't imagine that was the source cause. Just for further explanation of the issue, I have a button that runs a script to create a new record and take the user to a new layout to input the necessary info. This seemed to execute without a hitch (Error capture was on) but once I started with data entry, I'd receive the above error. This would also happen a different table's records attempting a a near identical procedure. In both instances the new record would appear to be in a state of limbo after this, unable to be deleted with its fields filled with "?". I also received the error while attempting to alter information on an existing record, where I have a merge field act as buttom bringing up a custom dialog where 3 input changes are possible. At most I could make one change (sometimes reflected, sometimes not) and then if I were to attempt another change via the same method, the error would occur.
Thank you both,
Thank you for the additional information.
When the Custom Dialog appears with the three Input fields, are you attempting to enter data into all three input fields? If not, what Input fields are you entering data? (#1, #2, or #3). Are the Input fields being entered Text fields? Number fields? Anything you can do to help me replicate the issue would be appreciated.
TSGal, please note the following from my experiences with this issue:
I'm using two completely different (no common ancestry) files, one created brand new in FM 13.
Most of the time, I'm using files physically copied to the phone, but I have seen this happen with a file that was hosted for testing purposes from FM GO 13 on my lap top.
This is the same problem posted by Author: rouelf, date: 4 Jan 14. After many hours trying to find a reproducible sequence/pattern steps, none found. As best as I can tell, the malfunction of FMGO 13, sometime occurs from quitting FMGO 13, then in the next reopening the problem occurs. In my experience, if FMGO 13 starts and is working correctly, it stays that way. Suggesting that sometimes, seemingly at random, somehow, when FMGO 13 closes, it does not close correctly, when it happens, next time it is opened the problem shows up.