13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2015 1:44 PM by rouelf_1

FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?

fabiuz

Title

FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?

Hi,

I have recently moved from FM Pro ADV 11 to FM Pro ADV 13, so I have also update the db file and the FM Go app on my iPhone.

I was thinking to get a better iOS 8 compatibily, better speed and less battery usage but I am getting the opposite,

What I do every day with my db, is to copy it from my computer to my iOS device, then I go out, I work on it from my phone, the when I come back home I copy it back from the iOS to my computer overwriting the previous db.

Since I have update all to version 13, I am getting more then some troubles: the iOS app sometimes crashes, battery usage seems higher and it has corrupt the db on the phone more then two times.

This is very bad when I am out for work and I have all the data I need on the db not accessible anymore :-/

When it becomes corrupted, it seems that file size changes, data inside is not correct and I got errors like:

- I cannot find this script or this script has been deleted,

- the file is damaged and cannot be opened, use recovery on the computer to fix;

- host communication has been interrupted (the host is the ios device itself)

I had to recover my db one time already and  I hope this have not breaked the file and db data/relationships.

After a crash on iOS, when I am able to reopen the db, fm go preferences are lost too.

I have no issues on the file while I am working with the computer.

Does anybody have suggestions about what to do at this point?

My db is quite complicated and I cannot replicate or recreate it easily.

How I can investigate the cause of the crashes and troubles on iOS?

How can I be sure that the upgrade from fm 11 to fm 13 is not the cause of my troubles?

• 1. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
          schamblee

The newest version of Go does has some issue, but I believe it to be usable and it is a matter of working around bugs, even the bugs FM denies are there.   I believe your database may already had been damaged and FM 11 just did not detect it, but the conversion cause the issue to be detected.   You could go to an old backup copy from version 11 and then run recover on this file before you convert it to 13, then after you convert run recover on the file again, then import your data into this new recovered database.  It may be easier to just start with a new database in 13 and then import your data into this brand new database.

I believe your database being corrupt is the reason Filemaker Go is crashing.  Filemaker GO does have bugs but I have seen any that causing it to crash.  I seen issue that requires Filemaker Go to be restarted and other issue requiring Filemaker Go to be reinstalled, which in your case I would remove Filemaker Go and reinstall. 

I think the conversion from 11 to 13 made the issue appear, but I don't think it was the cause.  The only way to test is to create a brand new database and see if you have the same issues.

Remember Filemaker Go is a fairly new program compared to Filemaker that has been around for years.  Go's version number were changed to match the desktop version, Go is really like version 3 instead of 13. 

PhilModJunk had created a script to be added to your database to detect  an issue when filemaker Go need to be reboot. (shutdown and restarted).  I don't remember the link to that posting,  Maybe Phil will see this post and add a link to that sample.  You can search the forum for that sample database.

• 2. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
            fabiuz

Thank you for the reply,

unfortunately I have made changes to the database, scripts etc every week and I have lost the track of the first time I had troubles.

May be that at some point I have recovered and used a db that FM suggest not to use anymore.

I have checked al tables and records, fixed where I have found errors or missing fields.

On the mac works without problems..

May be I have to create a new database starting from FM 13... it will take a lot of time to replicate and check all... I don't see any other solution :-(

It sounds bad to me that a corrupted fm db cannot be checked and fixed someway, if tables are ok and relations too, it should be possible to have it work again..

Even if I have a backup, trasfer data from each table to the old one requires time and concentration...

• 3. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
              schamblee

I understand.   There are several items that could cause the problem, and it would be hard to create a product to fix every issue, because the issue could be hardware related, OS related or hundreds of different areas that Filemaker has no control over. From my own experience, not just in Filemaker, but with other products as well, when there is a major upgrade such as the one from 11 to 12 then it is time for a major upgrade in my product and a total rewrite.  I have a database that I have rewrote three or fours times over the years, to  clean up code / scripts and implement new command and features.  

I agree a rewrite may be your best option. 

Good Luck  

• 4. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                philmodjunk

It is not unheard of for a damaged file to work perfectly with one OS or application version and not with another. 

• 5. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                  rouelf_1

Keep in mind that a rewrite with FM 13 is not the solve everything. As has been said, there are bugs in FM Go. So you will be exchanging some issues with others. I spent 3 months doing a rewrite, and implementing some of the great features that FM 13 offers. But still get crashes in FM Go, and often, about 50% of the time on first start of the solution after transferring to FM Go. And about 30% of the time there after. To avoid possible corruption of data, I just reboot FM Go everytime before starting solution ( shutdown and restart FM Go, ... double click home button, scroll FM Go upwards ). This work around seems to work, ... but not acceptable for commercial use.

• 6. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                    schamblee

Rouelf is correct there are several bugs in FMGo 13 and will crash Go.  I have not seen where these crashes have cause file corruption, just a headache to deal with.  Crashes of any type can cause file corruption and or index corruption, so care should be used when using an ios device.  I mean by care is layouts designed for the ios device should be tested heavily before connecting to a live database and backups should be made often. (Several times a day).   There was a major upgrade from FMP11 to FMP12 so I would have done a rewrite for that reason.  In any cause I hope that you got the issue resolved.   Again, Rouelf is correct, that a rewrite may not fix your crashing issue with GO 13.

• 7. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                      rouelf_1

All Keep in mind, that so far, the best solution to avoid problems, is to: Reboot FM Go everytime before starting the FM Go app. ( shutdown and restart FM Go, ... double click home button, scroll FM Go upwards ). inconvenient as it maybe, but is fast.

• 8. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                        rouelf_1

In my opinion based on the above post, it seems that when a file is closed in FM Go, that is when FM Go gets corrupted.

After hundreds of FM Go reboots, my files have never opened into an FM Go corrupted mode.

• 9. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                          fabiuz

Thanks,

this is my experince of how I have fixed:

1. I have added an "Exit" button to close/exit my DB so that I can easily quit the DB from FM Go BEFORE copy it back to my computer

2. I also Kill FM Go App every day before upload the DB to the iPhone

By using these two procedures my DB is now stable, I have no corruption anymore and no strange errors.

DB is still the version 11 converted to 13.

• 10. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                            rouelf_1

Fa, you should be able to use FM Go 14 with your DB. It appears that FM Go 14 fixes this bug. have not had strange errors, nor FM Go malfunctions, nor DB corruptions. You may want try it.

• 11. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                              schamblee

14 has added a close file button which helps, plus there are some other changes that has improved  FMGo.

Even in FMGo 14 it would be wise to close the DB file and FMGo before uploading a new file.  Closing FMGo is not required but is a good idea.   The memory leak issue has been addressed in FMGo 14, but from my understanding it has not been totally fixed, so a restart of FMGo is not a bad idea. 

• 12. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                                fabiuz

Thanks,

I have FM Pro ADV 13, can I use FM Go 14 with my DB and exchange it between FM Go 14 and FMP 13?

• 13. Re: FM Go 13.0.8 crashes and db corruption  - how to fix?
                                  rouelf_1

Fa, yes you can. It is the same format. If you had FM 14 and inserted FM 14 features they of course would not show up/work in FM Go 13. But that is not your case, FM Go 14 will run your FM 13 DB.