5 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 11:04 AM by TSGal

FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB

janfm

Title

FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB

Hi,

I have encounter this really interesting problem when sending email with attachment from FileMaker Go. When I was testing DB on PC (running Win 7) I had no problem sending email with attachment from FM Pro Advanced. Size was about 13 MB and I was using "Send Email" function from script. Now, this same DB without touching anything in configuration wouldn't send this same attachment on iPad. Later did testing and found out that limit is somewhere around 5,8 MB. Also tried with fmp12 and txt extension.

What we want to do is "Save a Copy as" and then email it. When I used this function with "Create email with file as attachment" it would open iOS default mail client and I would have to manually enter email addres, subject and text body - we want to have this automated. But it would send email with 13 MB attachment.

Red somewhere that FM doesn't have limit on email size, so it could be that mail server is limiting.

When I did error capture it gave 1506 error code.

I'm tried with Google as smtp mail server and another we use for emails, both have different security settings.

I'm wondering is it possible that iOS is limiting email size for third party email clients, or there could be that some certificate is involved.

iPad iOS version is 6.1.3, and FileMaker Go version is 12.0.6

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB
          TSGal

Jan Tarnowski:

Thank you for your post.

A 1506 Error is a general error when an email cannot be sent.  This could be the result of an attachment too large for the mail server to process.  Once the file is created, are you able to manually email the file from the iPad?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB
            janfm

Thanks for reply,

Sending email with 15 MB attachment is no problem from default email client on iOS. I think that Googe mail has 20 MB limit so it will work with even bigger than 15 MB.

I don't think it's even a problem with FileMaker because "Send Email" function works with attachment on FM Pro Advanced but it won't work on FM Go. Is it possible that FM Go processes differently "Send Email" function than FM Pro Advanced?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB
              TSGal

Jan Tarnovski:

I am unable to replicate the issue.  On my iPad, I have a FileMaker file that is 6.4 MB named "Test1 copy.fmp12".  In another FileMaker Pro file, I create the following script "Send Large File"

Set Variable [ $file ; Value: "file:" & Get ( DocumentsPath ) & "Test1 copy.fmp12" ]
                   Send Mail [ Send via E-mail Client ; No dialog ; To: <personal email address> ; Subject: "Test" ; attachment "$file" ]

I then access the file via FileMaker Go, run the script, and the file is sent successfully.

Anything else you can provide to help me replicate the issue would be appreciated.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB
                janfm

Thanks for effort:

Here's my script steps:

Set Variable [$timestamp; Value:Substitute ( Substitute ( Substitute (Get ( CurrentTimeStamp ) ;"/"; "-" ) ; " "; "-" ) ; ":" ; "." ) & "-" & Get ( UserName )]

Set Variable [$path; Value:"file:" & Get ( DocumentsPath ) & "Project-" & $timestamp & ".fmp12"]

Save a Copy as ["$path"; compacted]

Send Mail [Send via SMTP Server; No dialog; To: <email address>; Subject: "Test"; Message: "This is a Test"; "$path"]

I saw that you used "Send via E-mail Client" where I used "Send via SMTP Server" - we would like use only FM without using other apps for sending Emails.

Thanks!

• 5. Re: FM Go attachment limit - around 5,8 MB
                  TSGal

Jan Tarnovski:

I changed my script step to SMTP Server, but it also worked, since it was accessing the same SMTP server used to send via my email client.

I then changed it to your script steps (although I combined the two separate Set Variable steps into one step), and I was still unable to replicate.

What else can you tell me about your SMTP server?  Are others running into the same issue?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.