4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2010 11:08 PM by bumper

FM Go cannot view network served referenced image fields

HDoug

Title

FM Go cannot view network served referenced image fields

Using FMG on iPad I can open network mounted db, but fields containing referenced images don't display.  If images are actually added into field, then they display, but not referenced ones.  Is there workaround other than pulling images into field?

Doug

• 1. Re: FM Go cannot view network served referenced image fields
          TSGal

HDoug:

Thank you for your post.

If you store an image as a reference, then all guests must have access to that reference in order to view it.  For example, if the reference is to a public server, then all clients must also have that server mounted in order to see the image file.

With FileMaker Go, you cannot mount a public server, so any referenced image fields will not be displayed.  Instead, in order for FileMaker Go to see an image in a Container field (or on a Layout), the file would need to be inserted directly into the field; not as a reference.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go cannot view network served referenced image fields
            sipgrinder

I am designing a manufacturing database for future use. It may be a year before it is implemented. I want to have the ability to access this database with iPads including referenced engineering drawings. Do you think Filemaker Go will ever be able to display referenced documents from a server.

• 3. Re: FM Go cannot view network served referenced image fields
              TSGal

sipgrinder:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker, Inc. does not discuss future releases.  However, I encourage you to enter this into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These feature requests are monitored and read by members of Development and Product Management where they are then discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked that only you can answer.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Go cannot view network served referenced image fields
                bumper

sipgrinder, 

The unofficial answer is probably never. The problem with referenced files is that once you move them to any other directory or hard drive it breaks the reference. If you are worried about the size of the graphics affecting the main database then create a secondary file just for the graphics. Import them into a container field. Relate the file and then the records as you would any external file. I use this for a current client and it works just fine with FM Go. If your graphic files are large you might want to consider two versions of each file in each record. One for FMPro and the smaller for FM Go. There are plugins that will do this dirty work on the fly.