4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2015 1:00 PM by rgordon

FM Go crashes, freezes iPads. iOS8 related?

vickyn

Title

FM Go crashes, freezes iPads. iOS8 related?

Hi,

My client sends out one-record databases via email to his service techs, who receive them on their iPads and transfer them into FileMaker Go 13 for when they go onsite (where there frequently isn't any internet access) to fix stores in malls and need signatures etc offline. They send the files back via email when done, and my client synchs them into the online databases. This process has been in place for about a year, and was working pretty well. WAS.

I can't be sure but it seems like since iOS 8 came out for the iPads, we have been having tremendous problems with the techs' iPads freezing when using FileMaker Go, FM Go quitting, and/or seeming to get corrupted so that the techs can't send back their completed files.

This is not just an annoyance (as I read in another post). My client is ready to get rid of the technology and go back to paper job tickets because he and the techs are so frustrated that he's actually had a couple of them quit.  And my role as consultant/developer is also in jeopardy, because I can't just tell them to quit/relaunch FM Go or reinstall it all the time (especially when the latter makes them lose their job tickets--files--that they haven't been able to send back, and some of that data--like work approval signatures--is irreplaceable).

It's been my experience over many years that when an iOS release comes out, apps usually have to be upgraded to deal with it, and vice versa. I have other apps that I use on my own iPad/iPhone that have had new releases since iOS, but FM Go hasn't had an upgrade come out since iOS, right?

I really don't know what to do about this. Service techs are not technology-savvy, and feel like the iPads should work. I don't know what to tell them beyond quit or reinstall. My client feels like he can't grow his business and maybe needs to retrench. I am about to lose a client, I'm afraid, because of this.

Vicky

• 1. Re: FM Go crashes, freezes iPads. iOS8 related?
          Markus Schneider

There are so e issues with FMGo and iOS8!

In my expierience, FMGo should run quite well when it's been restarted - and becomes 'strange' after a time of usage (mostly days, weeks). 

Sorry to not have good news. I was running into the same situation under FMGo11 - and it became ard to trust

That said, it's also possible that other factors are involved. Therefore: Is there anything in common when FMGo crashes? A specific script, layout, whatever.

I also realized that FMGo files became damaged in a way when transferred via iTunes, maybe the same when sent via mail without quitting FMGo. The files had orphaned blocks when checking them using FMVis, what can happen when an app wasn't properly closed..

• 2. Re: FM Go crashes, freezes iPads. iOS8 related?
            AppGuy

Vicky-

I don't  know if you are aware of this but there is a script step in FileMaker called "Allow User Abort".  If this is set to OFF then the database on the iPad will not hibernate according to FM's documentation.

I have a similar issue...  I use the "Allow User Abort[Off]"  in most of my scripts because I do not want the user to abort the script, but you loose the hibernate ability and this can cause database corruption.  We have had to train users over and over on this.. 

Look at page 11..  https://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/12/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf

"When you switch to another app, FileMaker Go enters a suspended state, and scripts are also suspended. When you return to FileMaker Go, the app and scripts resume from where they left off.

If you switch away from FileMaker Go for an extended period, and iOS forces the app to quit, FileMaker Go attempts to generate a hibernation file. When you restart FileMaker Go, it uses the hibernation file to re-open files. A hibernation file is not generated when a script with Allow User Abort set to Off was running when you switched away from FileMaker Go. "

Hope this helps..    Also..  You might want to look at some of the syncing solutions, instead of copying the databases..  It is much more efficient..  This is how we do it..  and we have almost 500 iPads out there using FM Go..

• 3. Re: FM Go crashes, freezes iPads. iOS8 related?
              Markus Schneider

-> switching app's: Could be that! When users switching to other apps.. Here, we never do that while scripts are running

• 4. Re: FM Go crashes, freezes iPads. iOS8 related?
                rgordon

Vicky,

There have been a couple of updates to FMGO 13 since iOS 8 was released.  Make sure you have the latest version of FileMaker Go and iOS 8 installed.  Are the iPads fairly new or old iPad?  I have 1000s of iPad users and I'm not hearing of problems with iOS 8 and FMGO 13 corrupting file.  Here are a few thing to check or consider:

1.  Are you sure that the file that are being send aren't corrupted when they are sent?  I would run a recover on the file that is creating the single record files to see if it reports any problems with the file.

2.  Something might be happening to the files in the email process.  Have you tried zipping the files before they are sent?  You will need an app to unzip the files. 

3. Try using dropbox to send the files.

4. Use csv files to send the data back and forth instead of filemaker files.  This would take some work on your end. FMGO can't import from a csv but you could use the Insert from URL step to get the data into a file on the iPad.  If you export data to csv, you can convert the signature to base 64.

Good luck in resolving this issue.