10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 6:32 AM by JonathanMarcus_1

FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF

AlecJames

Title

FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF

Hello everyone.

I was just wondering, does FM Go not support exporting all found records to PDF? When I specify to export Records Being Browsed to PDF, it only exports the first record rather than the whole set. When this command is executed on FMP, it works just fine, and a whole set of records is exported to PDF. Or maybe I'm just doing something wrong. I'm using the Save Records As PDF [No dialog; "$PDFPath"; Records being browsed] command.

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
          TSGal

Alec James:

Thank you for your post.

Can you verify there is more than one record being browsed?  Also, make sure the file referenced in "$PDFPath" is unique.  That is, if the file already exists, it will not be overwritten, so a numeric extension will be added to the filename.  For example, i$PDFPath equates to "test.pdf", and test.pdf already exists, then FileMaker Go will export to test 2.pdf.

Also, make sure the file is being created.  That is, return to the FileMaker Go home screen, and if the file Test.pdf exists in the left column, delete it, and then run the script again.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
            AlecJames

It shows 5/59 Found (Sorted), so I assume that this means that 5 records are being browsed, right? The pdf is created, but only the first record is exported. I do delete the bad file after every attempt. Like I said, I'm only having this issue with the mobile app. The command works as it should when tested on a desktop environment.

• 3. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
              TSGal

Alec James:

If you create a new script with the same script step, does it then work?  If so, then the old script may be damaged.

If you use another file and use the same script step, does it then work?  If so, then the original file could be damaged.

If you are still unable to determine the issue, feel free to send in your file and I'll look at it here.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                AlecJames

Sorry I didn't respond as quickly this time. I had to focus on a different project.

Anyway, I recreated the script, but it still only exported the first record to a PDF rather that the whole found set. The script works in a PC-based environment and only has this issue with the FM Go application. I'm thinking this is just a bug with how iOS deals with the "Save Records as PDF" script command.

I would send you the database file, however, I do not think that is possible with any of my email clients because of the fact that the database is 300 MB right now and I honestly do not know how small I can compress the file.

• 5. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                  TSGal

Alec James:

Thanks for the additional information.

With my copy of FileMaker Go, Save As PDF will export the entire found set, so something else is occurring.

Make a clone of the file (a copy with no records) as I can always import sample data.  Then, compress the clone and send me the resulting zip file.  I'll first host the file in FileMaker Pro and access on my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod touch).  Then, I'll download the file onto my iOS devices and try again.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                    schamblee

You can also use a service such as dropbox and then you can email a link of the file to TSGAL.  This will bypass the email limit. Dropbox has a free 5 Gb account.  I'm not 100% it is 5 Gb, it might be a little less, there are a few services out there with free accounts.

• 7. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                      JonathanMarcus_1

Was this problem ever resolved. I am experiencing the same thing.  The script works fine on filemaker pro, but from filemaker go, the pdf only saves the current record. ???

• 8. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                        TSGal

Jonathan Marcus:

Thank you for your post.

For testing purposes, see if you are able to manually save the found set of records to a PDF file.  That is, open the file in FileMaker Go, make sure the found set is more than one record, go to the Print menu, set the Record Range to "Found Set", tap PDF, and select "View".  Do you see more than one page?

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                          JonathanMarcus_1

That is weird. Yes that works.  But if I do it as part of a script it only saves the first record, even though the found set is the same and the records being browsed option is selected.

• 10. Re: FM Go Export Multiple Records to PDF
                            JonathanMarcus_1

Ok, go it.  Even though it appeared that records being browsed was selected because it was displaying in the script step, the actual specify options check box was not checked, which apparently was the problem.  Thanks for the help.