3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2011 5:39 PM by LawrenceKeyes

FM Go iPad Drop Down List (How to Scroll through long lists).

LawrenceKeyes

Title

FM Go iPad Drop Down List (How to Scroll through long lists).

I've got a largish drop down list (250+ possible choices) which works fine in FM on the Mac,  in that once the user drops the list down, they can use the keyboard to perform an incremental search to quickly get to the correct record.   

In FM Go,  it appears that you have to scroll down the records to get this to the desired record, there is no way to accellerate the process; either by moving the scroll bar manually or typing in a few letters to move through the list.    

Am I missing something here,  and if not... is there a possible scripting solution that would allow this to happen?  

Many thanks.    ---- L 

• 1. Re: FM Go iPad Drop Down List (How to Scroll through long lists).
          philmodjunk

Would a conditional value list work by producing a shorter value list?

With a conditional value list, you select a value in one field that identifies a subgroup of the entire list of values in your current list. Then the conditional value list, instead of listing all 250+ values, lists only the values that are a member of that sub group.

• 2. Re: FM Go iPad Drop Down List (How to Scroll through long lists).
            TSGal

Lawrence Keyes:

Thank you for your post.

At this time, you have to swipe down the value list to select the desired record.  The scroll bar is inaccessible and is an iOS issue.  You can see the same issue appear in a long web page within Safari, as you are also unable to access the scroll bar.

Whereas you can type a few letters to find the desired value list item in FileMaker Pro, the typing will enter data directly into the field.  With a pop-up menu, the iOS keyboard does not display, so you also have to scroll to the desired value list item.

I have submitted the filter typing to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FM Go iPad Drop Down List (How to Scroll through long lists).
              LawrenceKeyes

PhilModJunk: 

The conditiona value approach might work; I've got something similar in another database that I've been using,  but it isn't as elegant or transparent to the user as I would like.  

---- L 

TSGal:

Thanks for the explanation, with the background reflecting my real-world experience. I'm now experimenting with having a separate form layout for the items that are in the portal, and having the portal itself simply display the items read-only. I shoudl think I would use a couple command buttons with attached scripts to faciliate the movement between the forms.   

But....its ugly.  Shades of Visual FoxPro and Microsoft Access. Yikes! 

Thanks again.