5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2010 12:45 PM by Chris Zulliger

FM Go or web sharing?

phowson

Title

FM Go or web sharing?

Hello. I have a FMP 11 database I have created to be used for on site print ordering. I automatically populate a blank FM DB with images from my Aperture library and then the system allows people to create a print order. I was going to use Mac minis with web sharing as ordering kiosks, but it seems like using iPads would be cheaper not to mention better for a variety of reasons. My question is, can I connect to a FMP database using a copy of FileMaker Pro and the built in sharing or do I need a copy of FileMaker Server?

• 1. Re: FM Go or web sharing?
          davidhead

Hello phowson

Yes FileMaker Go is simply a FileMaker client for the iPad and iPhone. This means that it can connect into databases shared with FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server. It sounds as if you will be doing this on a local wireless network. And that will work with a FileMaker Pro host of the database.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 2. Re: FM Go or web sharing?
            phowson

THanks! I actually figured that out later but I do have a follow on question: Is there a reference web page that will let me know what scripting steps are compatible with FMGo. Ideally I'd like to have the same functionality in the script maker as with web compatible scripts, perhaps instead of being grayed out, the scripting steps not compatible with FMGo could be red or something.

• 3. Re: FM Go or web sharing?
              phowson

Also, I just tried to use my database and images in a container field are showing up as a text block which does not help me. Any suggestions?

• 4. Re: FM Go or web sharing?
                davidhead

For FileMaker Go compatible script steps (or more correctly, the incompatible ones), refer to either of:

Calculation and scripting behavioral differences in FileMaker Go (KB7734)

FileMaker Go Tech Brief

Obviously, the greying out of Go-incompatible script steps in the Manage Scripts area of FileMaker Pro cannot happen until we can release an update to the client.

As for the display of images in a container field - I would assume that these images are stored as references? If that is the case, any FileMaker client needs to reference the source. As FileMaker Go has no way to do this, the images cannot be displayed. Depending on the size of the images, test one record with a stored image and test the performance.

TS_Oz, FileMaker Inc.

• 5. Re: FM Go or web sharing?
                  Chris Zulliger

"As for the display of images in a container field - I would assume  that these images are stored as references? If that is the case, any  FileMaker client needs to reference the source. As FileMaker Go has no  way to do this, the images cannot be displayed. Depending on the size of  the images, test one record with a stored image and test the  performance."

OR use 360works SuperContainer. I'm also interested in your [phowson] Automatic Aperture to FM solution.