12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2015 11:25 AM by schamblee

FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.

ontarget

Title

FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.

I am a developer:
      I have a client that is using a PC with FM Go. This is also FM 14 and the first PC app user since v14 of FM Go was used. The issue: the app installed in FM Go on my iPad for my iMac has all the fonts working correctly. On his PC using the exactly the same app has fonts missing or moved on the screen.  

In the past; WebDirect will move fonts on the screen, but I have not seen FM Go do this kind of thing. The field headers on the iPad using my iMac are fine. Since the file for the iPad is the same for Mac and PC, the fonts should look the same. But the iPad for the PC client version is missing and moving fonts around. The fixed locations in FM were set and they are not moving on my iPad. They are moving on the iPad my client is using. We are both using IOS 8.4.

• 1. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
          schamblee

There is not a FMGO for PCs.   No, the fonts are not the same on PC as Macs, and you have to test your database on both platforms.  If the font is not available on the other platform then FM will substitute another font, which may be totally different.

The FMGo developers guide goes over the fonts available to FMGo  https://www.filemaker.com/support/product/docs/filemaker-go/fmgo_development.pdf 

• 3. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
            ontarget

Let me clarify that the iPad for the Mac had all the text, field headers, and random text showing.

The copy I sent to the client was loaded through iTunes on the PC to the iPad. We both have the same version of IOS on our iPads in both our iPad minis. What he got on his version of the identical app were missing fields headers, and random text was moved around the screen even though the layout setting fix them in position. I know that Web direct is font sensitive in version 14 of FileMaker. The issue here is that I've not seen font issues until now on FM go 14 for iPad. As stated in the earlier comments both iPads should provide the same exact reproduction of information for text on the screen. If someone knows why it would change when it was added to FM go 14 from a PC, please enlighten the form.

• 4. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
              schamblee

PC / Mac versions of iTunes would not effect the database on either platform.  It is a means of moving a file. It does not modify the file.

Your issue will be with FMGo or with your database.  

1st I would verify that it is the same database on both devices.  It appears that one device may have an older version of the database on it.

The easies way to move files is with dropbox.

• 5. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                ontarget

The database was transferred today from my server to the client, and I installed the same DB on my iPad at the same time. My iPad had all of the fonts showing as designed. His iPad "he stated" had several field headers missing and some other help text moved locations.

• 6. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                  philmodjunk

Which doesn't change the fact that FM GO does not install fonts. It can only use the fonts that are part of the iOS system.

a) one copy file may have been damaged. Try a new copy of the original

b) make sure that both iOS versions and FM GO versions are exactly the same.

c) could screen sizes be different? Are these two different iPad models with different display sizes? With certain auto-size anchor settings, a difference in screen size could produce a significantly different looking layout.

• 7. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                    Markus Schneider

besides of the things PhilModJunk mentioned:

- what font?

- are all of the iOS devices running the same version of Go?

- was the file altered (layout-work..) on a Win-PC before transferring to the iOS device?

- what happens, when You send Your file via email to the other device? (to reduce the possibility of corruption; a zipped version is also possible - needs an app like 'GoodReader' to open that zipped file)

• 8. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                      ontarget

The following factors are the only important items to be considered:

This application was taken directly from my server after pre-testing it prior to sending it to the client. during the testing the only thing that was done was to add a username and password for the client.

I have been sending both zip files an individual files for eight years without seeing this kind of issue.

The reason I'm asking this question in the form is to see if anybody else is experiencing text issues in FM go 14.

I have been developing iOS apps since the iPod came out and have not experienced this kind of font issue.

If it is a bug in FM go 14, I wanted to make people aware of this issue in may be find a solution early on.

• 9. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                        philmodjunk

The following factors are the only important items to be considered:

Sorry but these are NOT the only important items. Which is why we have been asking questions. I suspect a "glitch" during the file copy trashed the file, but that's just a guess and not one that I have seen any response from you that would indicate that you have seriously considered that possibility.

The method and particular computer used to copy over the file should not have any effect whatsoever on the way the file looks and functions. It's just a file copy operation nothing more. (Files may also be transferred over via email or drop box to name to commonly used alternatives to i-tunes.)

And there have been no similar reports of such an issue here or over in Report an Issue. But if you feel that this is a bug you are welcome to go to Report and Issue and post a report there where it will be seen by FileMaker techs that monitor that section of this forum.

• 10. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                          ontarget

Ok Phil

This is a forum for people to discuss possible solutions not to challenge the person or the veracity in finding the answer!

In fact yesterday I change the font from Helvetica to aerial in one layout and send it to the client for him to test it on his iPad. Doing this would offer a possible solution where it is font specific and not just a bug. I'm not sitting on my hands waiting for you guys to solve this issue. What I'm doing is trying to offer an issue that is currently affecting FileMaker go 14. At the same time I'm taking the steps to find a solution that will assist other users on the forum in the future.

Prior to sending this to the form I did notify FileMaker that this is a possible bug filled out a report. Since it takes 48 hours to get an answer, I also posted on the forum for other users to consider what solutions might be offered to solve this. As I stated I'm also trying to determine a solution. That is why I sent a new copy yesterday to my client is to reevaluate, and this would eliminate any chance of a file transfer problem. Now it is possible that he had a network issue when he downloaded the file. That is another reason why sent the file once again yesterday.

• 11. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                            Markus Schneider

I asked for more details because

- FMGo14 has issues, but not like Yours

- Fonts became problematic, could also be that editing on a Win machine caused that

- there was an update (14.02, Go), could be that one of Your colleagues didn't install that

- since a .fmp12 file can be used with FMGo14/13, could be another difference (I got 13 and 14 on my iOS devices...)

Yes, I could have answered that I did  n e v e r  run into such issues with FMGo14 (but there are too many of them...)

(-:

• 12. Re: FM Go v14 on PC missing fonts in the app.
                              schamblee

No one has challenged you, three very experienced users have comment to you and you have ignored all three of us.  Phil is very experienced with FM and also maintains a bug database of all bugs reported about FM.  Markus  has done extensive testing with FMGo 14.  I am pretty knowledgeable about the products myself.    If you will consider that we know what we are talking about and not blow it off you will most likely have your problem solved.